Monday, March 29, 2010

my lens is not know to Lightroom

I use a new lens that is not know to Lightroom.

Can I somehow update Lightroom to know it?
my lens is not know to Lightroom
If image file contain data about lens being used (no matter how old/new it is), Lightroom will recognize it.



Bogdan
my lens is not know to Lightroom
My understanding is that Lightroom gets the lens from the photo metadata. There is a section in EXIF dedicated vendor stuff like lenses, so cameras store the information there.



There is some discussion about this very issue in the Adobe ACR user forums.

I don't think so!

There is a field LensID in EXIF and it contains lens ID,

software has to know how to map this ID to human readable description:

http://www.rottmerhusen.com/objektives/lensid/nikkor.html

http://www.gvsoft.homedns.org/exif/lens-type.html

http://homepage2.nifty.com/mak_kawa/digicam/lens/lensid/lens_id.htm

For e.g. Pentax supports update files to their Photo Laboratory/Browser software when there is a new lens.

rga,

I see what you mean... well, until lens isn't public available and LR (or any image metadata related software) isn't updated, there can't be expected software will recognize this particular lens -actually similar as with any new camera model.

It wouldn't be the problem to wait for next LR update, if... LR doesn't have any ''refresh/update'' database option! So, if you now import a image (which contain ''unknown'' lens), this data will remain there. After LR is updated (with new lens ID), new lens will be recognized only from then on -all previous imported images will still have ''unknown'' lens. Except... if LR team makes ''refresh'' database option in future release. Your example gives another good reason for doing that.



Bogdan

A new Lightroom 1.1 came and the lens still seems to be uknown to Lightroom. Is there any way how to ask Adobe to include it?

As you may have noticed, Lightroom v1.1 now does have ''Read metadata from file'' menu (which is same as refresh metadata from file) -really wellcomed option. Did you tried it?



Greetings,

Bogdan

Yes, it overwritten my keywords and manually entered metadata and did not changed lens info :-(((

This is a bug in Lightroom, and all programs that share code,

in combination with Pentax K10D firmware.

As of V1.20 firmware the format of the lenstype data has 3 bytes

where they used to use 2. Even Lightroom 1.1 has not been fixed to

adapt for this change. After my upgrade to 1.20 all my fotos show 'unknown lens type'.

Adobe is the only one who can fix this and I hope they do it in 1.2.

Hi there



I have searched the archives of this forum with no success so I will ask here. Is it possible to fill the IPTC field ''Date created'' automatically?



I have created a metadata template and have ticked the appropriate box. All the other fields are filled in.



I am on a windows machine with 2G memory and Lightroom works great for me, a few niggles but nothing serious.



All the best



Sid Frisby

Whoops sorry. The previous message should have been a new thread. I will repost it.



Sid Frisby

No comments:

Post a Comment