Monday, March 29, 2010

LR v1.0 missing some very common EXIF...

Just like in the beta, LR v1.0 is missing some of the main EXIF information that I see with other programs. I know about the setting to tell LR which EXIF data to show, and it's set to ''All,'' so this isn't the problem.



My Minolta A2 RAW shots, for example, don't show the 35mm equivalent focal length. I find this data VERY useful in my work flow, so I really miss it. It's just too hard to have to constantly calculate this data since my cameras don't all have the same sensor size. I'm also missing quite a bit of the ''camera specific'' fields such as red-eye mode and some of the metering mode details. All of this info DOES show up in several other programs I've tried.



The EXIF info is clearly there, and it's common enough that other programs ''see'' it, so why is LR giving me such a limited list? It seems very odd to me that such a mainstream company like Adobe would display so much less of this data than software from several other MUCH smaller companies.



Thanks,



Larry
LR v1.0 missing some very common EXIF...
Larry, there will be a custom metadata view creator soon.. As Adobe add tags, you'll be able to view them.
LR v1.0 missing some very common EXIF...
Thanks for the information. Is there any information posted about this that I might be able to read? I've searched around the various LR sites, but I haven't been able to find any specific information about this feature.



Thanks,



Larry

Private bata at present :)

Beta

How is that for a quick release...



There is now a web based Metadata template editor available at:??http://regex.info/Lightroom/Meta/??This has been written by Jeffrey聽Friedl, very good stuff.

I've a blog post up on it too:

http://seanmcfoto.com/lightroom/2007/02/create-your-own-metadata-viewer-preset.h tml

I downloaded that file, but I don't understand how to get it to do what I want. When I choose ''The Whole Works'' in LR, I see less EXIF data than I do with the default ''All'' or ''EXIF'' settings. I assume that I'm supposed to edit the file and add more EXIF fields to it somehow, but I don't have a clue how to do this -- i.e. I have no idea what the fields I want are actually called or how to add them to the file. For example, I don't know what I would put in this file to get it to show me the 35mm Equivalent Focal Length. On top of this, at the moment I don't even know how to get it show me all the fields that the default LR already shows me.



Could somebody please point me to some much more comprehensive instructions on this?



Thanks,



Larry

Never mind, just saw Sean's blog entry.

Okay -- I found the website with instructions on it. I'll have to read over that.



Thanks,



Larry

I just read over the instructions and tried Jeffrey's Metadata Viewer ''Builder'' tool, and it's really nice -- the instruction are clear and the Builder is quite intuitive. A big Thanks to Jeffrey for creating this and to Sid for pointing me to the page.



I was dumb and missed the intruction and creation pages at first, so here are some direct links for other people that may be as slow as I was:



Instruction page: http://regex.info/blog/2007-02-20/386

Preset Builder: http://regex.info/Lightroom/Meta/



One note: Jeffrey points out in the instruction page that the 35m Equiv Focal Length is not displaying in LR at the moment for some reason. He said he submitted this bug to Adobe. I wanted to mention this because this was a specific field I wanted to display, but apparently it's not possible to see it in LR at this time.



Thanks again,



Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment