Monday, March 29, 2010

Use XMP sidecars for all file types?

Is there any way to tell Lightroom to use sidecars for all files (including JPG) instead of embedding the XMP data?



I want to keep my metadata in a safe, externalized format that is future proof without the possibility of damaging my originals writing to them.



thanks,

Pat Niemeyer
Use XMP sidecars for all file types?
No, because other apps look for the metadata embedded, not as sidecar, according to Adobe, thus this is the 'correct' way.



Don



Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.4.9 %26amp; Win XP, Pentax *ist D

http://donricklin.blogspot.com/

Use XMP sidecars for all file types?
I can understand this approach, however I really don't like the idea of any application messing with my originals in any way.

Me neither, but the fact that everyone else expects the data in those files, that those file types are specified specifically for this type of embedded data, and that LR uses a safe-write approach has made me less worried about it.



If you're bothered by it, keep originals backed up somewhere.

Lee Jay:



I certainly agree with you. However, I would really prefer to have the option of generating XMP files for PSD, JPEG, TIFF, etc.



As far as 'safe-write' is concerned, the present incarnation of Lightroom, will and has modified the creation date of a few of my (rare) JPEGs. Adobe technical support has reproduced this problem. Until the bug is fixed people should be careful.

If I may add...

Exif, IPTC and XMP data are in general considered as ''safe''.. so, what does ''safe-write'' mean? And if at all, why not having options, like:

-always write to separate file,

-always write into image file.



At this time I don't allow LR to write any data into my (jpg) files, because of two reasons:

-it isn't ''safe'' yet,

-Adobe likes to leave his ''footprint'' anywhere he writes...



...which means: if in LR I define Location tags only and write XMP into jpg file, there will be added much more than Location tags. In general I don't like adding there something only Adobe (or anybody else) knows about. Other tools (exiftool, breeze,..) write only what is been told them to write.



Bogdan

I just prefer the ''do no harm'' rule: don't mess with the originals.



I understand that this is an extensible format and that there is very little likelihood that it will ever be a problem (not withstanding the problems people have already reported)... but the idea that my original photos contain a whole bunch of junk created by some early version of Lightroom just makes me cringe.

Safe-write means write an entire new file with the new data before deleting the old file. This way, a crash or power loss during the addition of xmp data can't cause a loss of the original image file.

And an updated creation date is a side-effect of safe-write.

The exif data on capture time is all that's important, as far as I can tell. I don't care when the file was created.

I agree. The creation date is not a part of the file, it's a manifestation of the file system that the file sits on. it doesn't tell me when the picture was taken; it tells me when the current copy of the file was created.

My concern is that LR seems not only to alter metadata (without telling you specifically what it is changing) but also that it alters file sizes - both up and down - on Import and Export. See my posts here: http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc3b731

under the topic heading ''TIF %26amp; JPEG file size increases''.

Unless you write changes to sidecars you loose your original digital signature or cecksum. For archival reasons and file integrity checking I find it indispensable to have the option of writing added info to sidecars.

By the way, xmp sidecars in lightroom could also store snapshots, virtual copies and history info, so that they can be recovered from backups. You could backup the library or part of it, but you won麓t be able to merge libraries when restoring.
  • bridal make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment