Sunday, March 28, 2010

Color Management

In Lightroom print module color management, the only choices I see is ''managed by printer.'' Checking ''other...'' only shows 2 profiles, both of which are those furnished by my Canon printer. In Photoshop (CS2 or CS3) I have the option (through the print dialog) of letting Photoshop manage color, and then there is a long list of color profiles located in my Macintosh library to choose from. Those profiles are under library/application support/adobe. Why can't Lightroom see them? (I'm not using draft mode).
Color Management
All of the profiles I have added are in%26lt;br /%26gt;%26lt;br /%26gt;%26lt;drive name%26gt;/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles%26lt;br /%26gt;%26lt;br /%26gt;and they all show up in Lightroom.Color Management
Well, the only profiles you really NEED to be able to access are those profiles relevant to your printer, correct? If you select ''Other'' you should be able to see those profiles that are printer related....as long as your profiles are tagged PRNT (I think that's the ICC spec, but don't quote me) then profiles should show up as selectable. So, add a checkmark next to the profiles you want in the LR drop down. Then, select the profile in Lightroom and make sure you have color management turned to off (however you need to set the driver) in the print driver.

When you go to color management and you click on profile, you get 2 choices: managed by printer or other. If you click other you get all the profiles that exist in your printer driver. If you click on the profile of the paper you want, LR will assign it. When you click again on profile you can choose printer mgt or LR color management with the selected paper profile. Andy

Thanks to all for your input. When I print from CS3, I have a list of profiles to choose from; Adbobe RGB (1998)works best. In my Mac's hard drive Library under Application Support/Adobe/color/profiles I see a lot of .icc files, 16 in the folder called ''recommended.'' Adobe RGB (1998) heads the list. Aren't these .icc files the profiles I want to see in Lightroom? If CS2 and CS3 Photoshop sees them, why doesn't Lightroom? Clicking ''other'' in the Lightroom Print ''profiles'' dialog gives me only 2 other choices--BJ Color Printer Profile (same as ''managed by printer'' I suppose and one called ''ez printer'', which is not satisfactory. Lightroom doesn't see all the others that PS does.

Bill, photoshop has a bunch of profiles for color gamuts that you can choose, but that is not really what you want. You want paper profiles that are usually supplied by the printer manufacturer.



Maybe your printer driver got screwed up and your paper profiles got corrupted. Why don't you download a new printer driver from the canon site and see if you don't get more choices.



andy

bill-



On my Mac, PRINT profiles get stored in Library/ColorSync/Profiles. The profiles you're seeing are either working spaces or ones that don't apply to your printing. In fact, I've sometimes wondered what good all those Japan, Euroscale (coated and uncoated!), and USWebcoatedSWOP profiles do me....



I don't have a Canon printer around, but it may be that all their ''profiles'' for paper types are built in to the driver.

Rosss-

I was a bit slow in composing and posting my reply, so I didn't see yours till now, precisely 7:20:54 AM on Saturday, April 21, 2007.



Bill, please spec the specific printer you have, so others can see if it has separate profles. If not, that suggests a different route.

Thanks, John: I have the 2 profiles that Lightroom shows me in my user Library/colorsync/profiles; so I suppose that's all the application is looking at. My printer is the Canon s900, and I will look on the Canon site for some help, other profiles to put in the colorsync/profiles folder perhaps. I know that not all the profiles shown in Photoshop are print profiles; I can see those for my Cinema display monitor and my own calibration of the monitor. The print driver must have other profiles, since the print dialog, under the media tab offers a selection of papers; aren't those different .icc profiles, or is that something else?

That is the Generics built in. You have to go to Canon online and download specific icc's for your papers and put them with the other two.



Don



Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.4.9 %26amp; Win XP, Pentax *ist D

http://donricklin.blogspot.com/


Have a look here:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bc33de6

especially at post number 179

Getting a decent print out of LR was also my problem until I checked what Windows had set automatically. Through Windows have a look at your printer settings and if you see the profile set automatically by Windows as the one mentioned in my initial post you will see that this is most definitely not the want you want as explained in the link above. Set this to Manual and seek out a profile that matches your paper. The numbers don't really matter but you must select the profile for the paper e.g. PR1. Then set up everything else until all your options look like those given in the link (given in post 179). In LR, then choosing other you will see PR1 as one option which should now be ticked by default. Clicking Print will now bring up your options box again allowing you to double check nothing has changed. After setting up the boxes (as per the link) I saved this profile under the name of Digicams just to remind me of from where I obtained the advice. For me printing out of LR now works a treat. Hope this helps somewhat. :-)



Sorry, just realised you are on a Mac. Ok - well the Mac may also set up an auto default settings as does Windows. No matter, the boxes that open up by exploring your printer belong to the printer itself so the route advised above is still valid.
  • bridal make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment