Sunday, March 28, 2010

Saving tags back to file.

I'm using v1.0 Trial here.

Is there any way to save tags edited in Lightroom back to the actual file?

because it seems that the tags only get stored in the DB only, which is quite inconvenient.



Thanks.
Saving tags back to file.
Turn on the XMP setting in preferences, or ask LR to write the XMP to the files.



But it depends what type of files you mean?
Saving tags back to file.
Thanks, I'll give it a try!



I was talking about plain jpeg/tiff files.

FYI: XMP Metadata for TIFF and JPEG files is stored within the file itself and not in a 'sidecar' file.



Regards,

Tom Hogarty

Pardon what may be a basic, and quite dumb, question but you folks are about to get a bunch from me. I only looked at the very first Beta, and for various reasons, gave up, but a number of folks have convinced me a look at V1 is something I should do. So the settings by default only go the DB, is that correct? XMP data is only stored when the preference is set and sidecar files are only used for RAW files? That is done because the TIFF and JPG formats are standard, and Adobe has chosen the ''safe'' route regarding any format which may be proprietary in some form or other? Thanks.

I am off to bed as I have been here all night, so the short answer is you have got things about right.


FYI: XMP Metadata for TIFF and JPEG files is stored within the file itself and not in a 'sidecar' file.
But that's not really non-destructive, is it? I was quite perplexed to find that out after messing up thousands of old jpg files I now have to restore from backup ...



So why doesn't it store a xmp sidecar file along jpeg and tiff? I seem to remember the betas did just that.



Alexander.


--

Canon EOS 400D (aka. XTi) 鈥?20'' iMac Intel 鈥?12'' PowerBook G4 鈥?OS X 10.4 鈥?PSL 1 鈥?PSE 3


I would be very surprised to find that lightroom is capable of corrupting jpegs by writing metadata to them. Can you describe how this happened?



Thanks

Charlie, who said anything about ''corrupting''? I'm sure that Lr uses safe methods to write to the files. Also, please note that this *ONLY* occurs when specifically directed to do so by the user. By default, Lr only updates metadata into its databases and does not use XMP at all.

--%26gt;FYI: XMP Metadata for TIFF and JPEG files is stored within the file itself and not in a 'sidecar' file.



That's pretty cool Tom, thanks for confirming that. I just did a test with 55 CRW files imported. Did lots of corrections. I have the auto export XMP off for speed reasons. Exported and converted the files to DNG. LR was smart enough to toss the Raws and XMP's so the folder was nice and clean. All the legacy info was carried over perfectly which is great.



--%26gt;ut that's not really non-destructive, is it?



Hehe, good point! I hate the term. Load of marketing crap if you ask me. But lets start another thread on that can of worms. That term has to be banned from use.

DW, read Alexander's post (prior to mine), then read mine again.


I would be very surprised to find that lightroom is capable of corrupting jpegs by writing metadata to them. Can you describe how this happened?
I was in the process of correcting the lens information (to clean up the metadata browser) using the technique described
here.



There I noticed that with jpegs no xmp file is created but instead the EXIF part of the original jpeg file is updated, thus changing the original file including the file attributes. I didn't say it corrupted the images, it just changed the files on disk, which I dislike. These are after all my negatives and I like them prestine.



Alexander.


--

Canon EOS 400D (aka. XTi) 鈥?20'' iMac Intel 鈥?12'' PowerBook G4 鈥?OS X 10.4 鈥?PSL 1 鈥?PSE 3


if you make your JPGS read only, will LR write an XMP sidecar for it? I'm not at home, so I can't try . . . that would help solve the issues you have Alexander if it does.

Alexander,

My Misunderstanding.When you said you had to revert from your back ups, (messing up thousands of files,)I assumed the files had been rendered useless.

My point is that I think adding metadata, to a standardized file format is NOT considered to be fraught with danger. To each his own.

Great idea, Jonah, thanks!



Unfortunately it doesn't work. LR throws an error 禄'Writing XMP Metadata' did not complete successfully芦 and refuses to export anything.



Alexander.


--

Canon EOS 400D (aka. XTi) 鈥?20'' iMac Intel 鈥?12'' PowerBook G4 鈥?OS X 10.4 鈥?PSL 1 鈥?PSE 3


It might not sound like a big problem, Charlie, but there is a major drawback I see:



It clutters my incremental backups, as every time I change some metadata and save them to disk, the 3 MB jpeg files get backed up instead of the tiny XMP sidecars (as it is with my raw images).



Alexander.


--

Canon EOS 400D (aka. XTi) 鈥?20'' iMac Intel 鈥?12'' PowerBook G4 鈥?OS X 10.4 鈥?PSL 1 鈥?PSE 3


I was really anti when this was announced, now after loads of testing, I am very happy my files are safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment