Monday, March 29, 2010

Export Errors: 101 of 298 Images Don't...

I have 298 RAW images that I just spent five hours editing. I then requested jpegs of them to be exported to a folder. I have a huge amount of disk storage, 4GB RAM, AMD 4600+ processor on Windows XP Pro with all updates. This is a registered version of LR V1.0. After a long, long time processing I get a message that 101 of the images didn't export. There is no explanation at all at to what is wrong. A search here on ''export errors'' returns nothing. A retry of the failed export images results in the failure. How do I find out what is wrong? If LR can't export the edits it allows then what good is it? This puppy has been out a month with tons of problems and there doesn't appear to be any updates ... I would appreciate pointers to documents or other information that will help me determine what is wrong and move forward. Thank you.
Export Errors: 101 of 298 Images Don't...
Did you try the obvious? Restart LR and/or reboot the machine. I've had zero problems with exports.
Export Errors: 101 of 298 Images Don't...
Aha, I didn't realize that was obvious! I will give it a try, LJ, thanks!

Well, seems to have worked. Truth to tell I don't have other applications that have to be restarted to do what they are supposed to do so it didn't occur to me ... oh, wait, yes I do, Adobe Illustrator which I have to reinstall each time I want to use it! Anyway, in all seriousness, it worked but I would really prefer not to have to restart LR to have it do what it is supposed to do or to give me informative messages. But I do recognize it is ''point zero'' release, sigh.

I had the export problem too. Maybe because the images were quite large (about 9000x6000px at 48 bit). AMD cpu as well, 2Gb RAM + 2GB Readyboost on Vista Business.

Anyway you don't always need to reboot or restart Lightroom, after the export gives error you'll find the unexported images inside the ''Error images'' collection inside Library section. Just retry to export them.

Ryck, I did just try to re-export but it had the same complaint. I shut it down and re-invoked it, selected the Error Images and exported without an issue. This sounds like a small programming error either in LR or, sigh, the Windows API (programs should not work better after restarting, but then Windows shouldn't require rebooting to fix application issues but we all know it does!) I expect these are the sorts of things that will be corrected in the maintenance release or two. I like LR a lot although it is slow and some of the UI could be dramatically improved ... but for overall RAW corrections/tuning it is allowing me to move from jpegs to RAW at long last. I will continue to use PhotoMechanic for downloading, renaming and initial culling.

I had a problem exporting all of the files once too. I was worried for a bit because I hadn't just edited the files and thought something might have happened to them. A reboot or restart of the program fixed it.



It is common for new products to have glitches such as memory leaks as well as speed issues, which are often dealt with by developers later in a product's life cycle.

My exports regularly fail. I often have to restart, and also segment the export into smaller groups of images. This is a pain in the @$$ because the export window starts each export at file number 1, so I have to count the number from the prevoius export and renumber accordingly, so the previous import doesn't get overwritten. I hope Adobe figures this out.



Chris M

www.imagineimagery.com

I've had similar export to jpg problems corrected by closing, then opening LR.



Interestingly, I can export images of 24 x 24 x 300 dpi without too much problem, but if I try 24 x 36 x 300, the resulting jpegs are not 'full size'. I did read that 33 inches on a side was the max image size.



Finally, images cropped in LR sometimes lose their cropping when exported.



donsview.com

No comments:

Post a Comment