Monday, March 29, 2010

History, Snapshots and Virtual Copies

In other applications I use, specifically PS and Nikon Capture NX, I have the ability to delete random editing steps that I have done either directly through history or some sort of ''layer'' methodology. I have noticed in LR that the history list seems to be completely serial and ''all or nothing'', with no way to delete, say Step #3 out of 10. I see how I can save a Snapshot or Virtual copy, but that will include all the steps in History up to that point, at which time I can delete them all by clearing history. Is there a way to get rid of one history step in the middle of a sequence? If not, is there some other easy work-around that anyone knows rather than just starting from square one, or a snapshot that may have been 10 steps earlier and then trying to remember how to recreate the others?



Thanks,
History, Snapshots and Virtual Copies
Let's see what comes up Bill!!
History, Snapshots and Virtual Copies
Clearing the history on clears the list, not the operations themselves..

History is Linear in Lightroom and the final state is based on the culmination of steps. So if say step 3 is Sat +3, if you do a Sat -3 you've cancelled the effect. Other than reversing the step there's no current way to remove it. But the detail is there for you to change it.

OK, I see how that works on certain types of operations. I see 2 columns of numbers in history, for example:

Dark Tones: -4 -4



I then did a change:

Dark Tones: +2 -2



And another:

Dark Tones: +2 0



So the first number is the adjustment, the second is the effective result, correct? But if I want to know go back and ''see'' the the -4 result, I have to do it again?



Wait a minute, I just tried this with -50 so I could see a big change, and all the intermediate Dark Tones items ''disappeared'' from the History List, is this normal once I make changes that set it back to zero? Is there any way to do the equivalent with Presets, such as the various Tone Curves?



To be sure I understand things correctly, the only way to get back to ''original'' is to either use the History item Imported or the Imported snapshot once you have Cleared History correct?



Hmm, think I found a bug. Click on a step that shows number, as if you were changing the name, do nothing, but move to the right an click on the adjustment numbers, they disappear. You still see the numbers in the Tone Curve panel, just not in history. Where should I report this?

No comments:

Post a Comment