Monday, March 29, 2010

Help Requested w Copying Library

Hi,



While using LR beta, I imported most of my raw format images into the library using the option to leave the files in their original location (multiple external hard drives) rather than build a new library with the images inside. I did this because of hard disk space limitations at the time and because I was not sure if I was going to use Lightroom. Well, over time, I got hooked on LR and did extensive organizing, keywords, ratings, meta-info setting, etc. of my images.



I would now like to consolidate these images into a LR library on a single internal hard disk (hopefully that will speed things up and let me delete images I don't need in the library without deleting my original raw files).



Will copying the library work for me? If the library is just a set of pointers with meta information and the like to files outside of the library, how do I make sure that I do not lose all of that information? Will the library even copy properly if the files are not ''inside'' the library. Re-importing the original files would make me lose uncountable hours of work.



Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Help Requested w Copying Library
Sam-



If you have metadata exported to the image files, which I recommend regardless of which path you follow, you will not lose your edit and metadata info.



I'd be inclined to make a brand new library, and then import the folders, choosing to copy to new location, the one on your HD. One reason is that you're likely to get a 'cleaner' library that hasn't been used in a beta, anotther is you still have the ''old folders and library'' in case you need to go back and redo something.



Copying the library should work, but you'll need to reconnect ''lost'' folders once you've moved them to the new location.
Help Requested w Copying Library
Hi John,



Thank you! I like your suggestion of creating a brand new library after exporting the XMP information. As you say, this will give me a fall back in case something happens in the process.



Sam

It sounds a bit silly to me that you should have to ''reconnect'' LR with lost files and folders. I've used ACDSee for a few years and there you just move the folders inside ACDSee to their new location and the database is updated automatically.



I don't not like the idea that LR needs to search through a couple of TB of drives for lost files and folders or that I have to remember to reconnect when I've reorganised my file system.

Have I missed something here?

LR can work that way, too. Move the folders for with in LR. You might have to establish a beach head for LR to see where you want to go by first doing + at the Folder list to have LR start a new Root folder there. Then move rest from where ever to under the root folder. You can then eliminate that top level folder in LR, if it is otherwise empty (lower flders only), if you wish and be good to go.



Don



Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.4.9 %26amp; Win XP, Pentax *ist D

http://donricklin.blogspot.com/


I didn't mean to leave that impression, Donald! It's often dead easy.
  • bridal make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment