Sunday, March 28, 2010

Metadata question

What is label (also called text label)? I don't see anything named that in IPTC descriptions. It is just below rating in the metadata panel. And what do people use color labels for?



I need to figure out how to use metadata in my context. The guidelines for using iptc codes don't seem to fit my case very well. Maybe someone would have some suggestions? I do a lot of travel photography. I do folder by trips but I would also like to use a tag and I don't know which one to use. Nothing seems to fit according to the descriptions of proper use.



Thanks!
Metadata question
IPTC is a standard so we don't get much choice really.



You can make collections to gather image files together.

What tags do you want to apply in an ideal world?
Metadata question
I want a single field to use for a short description of all of the photos taken on a trip, which might be a thousand or more in these days of ''free film.'' An example might be ''Egypt 2004''. I want it in the metadata so I can tell from each photo where it belongs.



It looks like ''title'' which is also called ''object name'' might be the one, except title seems to be used for something entirely different by many people. A description I have has two entirely different meanings. One is: ''for news organizations it might be the name of the story for which its to be used'' which seems more like my situation than most of the available fields.

How about the Job Identifier?

Why didn't I see that....



The description isn't exactly right, in that it includes ''This ID should be added by the creator or provider for transmission and routing purposes only and should have no significance for archiving.'' but oh well... It is 64 characters long, which is fine. It is also called ''transmission reference.''

No comments:

Post a Comment