Monday, March 29, 2010

JPEG import failing with ''unsupported...

Hi,



I have recently bought the full version of Lightroom (v1.0) and overall love it.



However, I now have a folder containing around 350 jpegs, of which all but one fail to import, throwing ''appear to be unsupported or damaged'' errors.



The files all load fine in every other app I have tried, and there doesn't seem to be anything unusual in the exif data.



I've found some previous topics (notably
Robert Hill - L.A., ''Lightroom Won't Import Some Files'' #7, 18 Mar 2007 5:02 pm) with similar symptoms, but they seem to veer away from the specific issues I'm seeing.



I've uploaded one of the images that fails to:



http://www.crossword-bob.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/jj/photo_1.jpg



Any suggestions welcome at this stage!



Thanks,



Bob.
JPEG import failing with ''unsupported...
I can confirm that that file doesn't go nicely into LR. However, it opened fine in PS, and after I made a small change in levels and resaved, it opened fine.
JPEG import failing with ''unsupported...
Well, it doesn't go into LR at all.. but that's not alone LR's fault IMO -in this case some apps are able to open it and some not.

First I've assumed there may be something wrong with metadata, so I've removed it -when metadata is removed, the rest (image data) will remain untouched (so image still can be normally opened).



To be short: IrfanView opens this file only if metadata is included (weird). If metadata isn't there, message ''Can't read file header'' appears. As ''header'' has nothing to do with metadata, it seems that matadata contain some info which helps IrfanView to open it anyway.



Of course, once image can be open in some app (PS,PSP,...) and then resaved, new header is written by doing that.



Now I wonder... is this file straight from camera or has been touched by any application?



Bogdan



Added:

This image was not properly rotated -use right tool and LR will load it.



Bogdan

These images were supplied to me by a friend - I don't know what application has been messing with them. Anyway, since it now appears clear that it is due to some sort of messed up metadata, I am working on writing a program that will allow me to batch-correct them. I'll re-post with the results of this when and if it is done.



Thanks for the assistance,



Bob.

Alll you'd have to do is write an action in PS and batch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment