Sunday, March 28, 2010

Zipping LR produced PDF Files

Have just produced my first PDF files using LR - one of 10MB, the other 8MB. When attempting to send these as an attachment to an email I received a pop-up advizing me that 10MB was the limit for any single attachment. I then had the idea of zipping the files but as it turned out the resultant zip files were almost as big as the original PDF's. I sent an email to PKZip enquiring as to whether or not I was doing something wrong. Part of the reply I received is as follows:



PKZIP will always get the best compression ration possible. If a file is already compressed or encrypted it can not be made much smaller by any compression software. If you are compressing a lot of pictures, images, movies, etc this will not compress well. My guess is that your PDFs you are trying to compress includes some of these types of files.



Well they guessed right as of course the PDF's were comprised of images. My question: not being a techie, does anyone know of a method of reducing the PDF's created by LR without obviously reducing the number of images or quality etc or is it something that I shall just have to learn with and from. Thanks :-)
Zipping LR produced PDF Files
Hi Alan



Unfortunately PKZIP (or any other equivalent program) can only significantly reduce files that are not already in a compressed format (otherwise you would be able to zip your zip file and so on :-) ). The PDFs that LR produces contain JPEG images which are already in a compressed format so you cannot get much further compression.



I suggest that you experiment with exporting the slideshow in a smaller format (e.g. 800 x 600) or use a slightly lower ''quality'' setting.



Another option is to split your large PDF into smaller parts so that each part can be emailed and then re-assembled at the destination.



Regards, Nigel
Zipping LR produced PDF Files
Yes thanks for that Nigel, I was half supposing that the response would be along those lines. Would you be so kind as to educate me somewhat in respect of how to 're-assemble' the parts at destination. I personally haven't got a clue and feel sure that my recipient hasn't either. Thanks :-)
  • bridal make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment