Monday, March 29, 2010

Manually Arranging the List of...

I just downloaded and installed LR 1.0. I was also able to successfully import my LR 4.1beta Library with no problem. My question is: does anyone know how to manually arrange the list of Collections in LR 1.0? Right now they are listed alphabetically, but I would like to have the list of Collections displayed otherwise.



In iPhoto, you can click and drag a specific iPhoto Library then move and place it wherever you want in the iPhoto Library list.



Any help on how to do this would be appreciated.
Manually Arranging the List of...
Alphabetic it is, but you can set up child collections, and make the names what ever you need.



so if you placed 001, 002 etc at the start of the collection name they would be in your order.
Manually Arranging the List of...
Thanks, Sid. That's a workaround for what I want to do, but I would like to arrange my Collections in chronological order (using Month Year) as the Collection name (i.e., FEB 2007) and would like to have the most recent images in the Collection at the top of the Collection list.



In other words, if I started setting up my Collection list today, I would like to have it arranged FEB 2007, JAN 2007, DEC 2006, ... with FEB 2007 at the top. Right now, I haven't figured out a way to do that.



Unfortunately, using the child collections the way you suggested, I would have to rename each Collection everytime I added a new Collection (named after the current Month Year) to keep the most recent Collection at 001.

The files have searchable dates anyway? but I'm tired so maybe I don't understand clearly.



Use the metadata.

Do you mean Like 2007.02.19 ? I use that and it works quite well but not exactly as you want as in each month it starts from the 1st not the last day.



That's better, turned the light (room) on !!

You can already access your file chronologically using the Date field in the Metadata Browser:



http://seanmcfoto.com/lightroom/2007/02/metadata-browser.html

As I said in post 3

Thanks Sid, Geoff, and Sean. I think using the Metadata Browser will accomplish what I want to do without having to go through the hassle of setting up separate Collections also. Great tool!



Thanks again for your help, it's nice to know that there's a wealth of valuable expertise available here!

You are dealing with some of the hardline MCV beta testers here, loads of experience of Lightroom. Don't ya just love it !!

I know Sid, but you know a tutorial is better than no figuring it out.. Are you getting cranky from lack of sleep? :)

Ha ha, I guess so, but you have had as little as me I guess :)

Not really.

With my night work I only crawled out of bed around 2 yesterday...

No comments:

Post a Comment