Monday, March 29, 2010

White balance

I am confused. I just noticed today that in the Library module I have a choice of a number of white balance settings, including Daylight. In the Develop module, I only have the choice of As Shot, Auto, and ''Custom''. I want the other choices in the develop module. I've read the help and I can't figure out what the story is.



I know I can use presets, but, alas, way too many since I have some of my own and the WOW ones, making them virtually unusable. I know I can copy and paste white balance settings in Develop.



Have I messed up my setup or does White Balance in Develop really not have these default settings? If it isn't, where am I supposed to find these settings which obviously do exist in Lightroom?
White balance
The story is you are looking at JPEGs and JPEGs don't have an embedded color temperature at which they were shot/converted. Therefore, you can't know where ''daylight'' (or any of the others) is because you don't know where you are. QD shouldn't really have them either.



You'll get them on a RAW because RAWs haven't been converted yet so you do know where you are - the natural profile of that camera.
White balance
In Develop/Basic next to the big 'Turkey Baster' and the WB: there is a dropdown triangle set to 'As Shot'.



Dev is in Kelvin and QD is relative.



Don



Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.4.9 %26amp; Win XP, Pentax *ist D

http://donricklin.blogspot.com/


What Lee Jay said, too.



:)

The drop-down box in the Develop module but it contains only ''as shot'', auto, and custom. The corresponding drop-down box in Library has many other options, including daylight. Yes, they are jpegs.



If QD is in error, then I like that error!

QD's other options will very likely not work correctly on images that weren't shot in daylight.

No comments:

Post a Comment