Monday, March 29, 2010

multiple file copies

Before I buy Lightroom, I want to know if it will help me fix an issue I have.



I've copied my Nikon D70 and D200 RAW files to multiple locations (C:\folder, C:\other folder, C;\other folder\subfolder, E:\yet another location, E:\this is dumb Fred) on one server while trying to consolidate hard drives and not over write files!



This has created multiple duplicates and I don't want to loose any file that may have the same name at the OS level.



I understand that Lightroom uses a data base to keep information about files and you can use this ''off line''

Can I map the server drives to my laptop, import the mapped drives into Lightroom and then go thru them disconnected?



If I delete a file in Lightroom, does the actual deletion from the drive happen when the drives are ''on line'' again? Can I see ''thumbnails'' for the pictures during the ''Off line''



Thanks for your help, I couldn't find the answer in the FAQ
multiple file copies
Why not use the command to import into a new place, and keep ''Don't import duplicate'' in force? Then when you have brought everything in, you can delete all your copies, and then make a fresh back up.



You can see the thumbs and 1:1 previews when the images are offline. As to deleting files you marked when offline, when you are online again, I am not sure but I think you have to select the photo and then hit Delete. Probably easier to mark with an x when offline.

No comments:

Post a Comment