Monday, March 29, 2010

Wrong colors in Lightroom preview

Hi,

I thought I would give Lightroom a try and downloaded the trial. Then I started to import some Raws (CR2) from my camera (EOS 350D). I noticed that the colors were extremly different when comparing them to DPP which I use so far. Below are links to the pictures. The sky is kind of purple in Lightroom. All my monitors are calibrated using Pantone Huey and I never had a problem like this so far. Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated. After all this is not the best user experience for me with Lightroom so far... :-(



Screenshot in DPP:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=43zxhef



Screenshot in Lightroom Trial:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mdgb6g
Wrong colors in Lightroom preview
ACR is different from DPP. You can, if you wish, create presets that come close to the DPP defaults if you prefer. There are threads on this and others have done so.
Wrong colors in Lightroom preview
This is not about the differences in processing the picture in DPP or Lightroom. I simply have completely wrong colors in the preview in Lightroom. In a German forum I found some help, another guy has the same problem and it seems that the monitor of my laptop has a very small color space that it can reproduce. This might be the reason why this is happening. But I don't know for sure.

It could be your monitor profile. LR assumes your monitor is profiled and converts to that profile automatically. Since my monitors are not profiled, I had to delete the default profile (from Dell) to prevent LR from converting.

Like I wrote in the first post, all my monitors including the laptop are calibrated. Disabling the profile just changes the colors in both previews a little, the difference remains.

I know you said that, but is the profile generated by the Huey actually the default profile in the OS?

Yes it is.

Then the difference is that ACR uses different profiles and tone curves than DPP. If you don't like the default presets, create your own to match what you prefer.

I think I have a similar problem.

Intel iMac 20, Canon 20D shooting in Raw.



In the Aperture program, there is a ''soft proof'' setting that changes the display to the colors that your print will show, and the prints do agree closely with the monitor. Monitor calibrated frequently with a Spyder2 Pro.



There is no such setting, that I can find, in Lightroom--which otherwise seems to be a great program.



If I just import using the Lightroom defaults for my camera, do no editing, and print (HP7160,) the color of the prints is very close to that of the objects photographed. The monitor shows a different color scheme. Makes it difficult to do any editing...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one experiencing such things. If I export pictures or print them the colors are fine here too. But previews are way different.

I found some additional info, seems like the display panel is the problem: http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00KIfk

Rishi, the author of those pages, is a regular here, although I haven't seen any posts in the last few days.



FWIW, the sky doesn't appear ''too purple'' - but that's me, my eyes, and my monitor. The overall color temp looks diff. between the two, and the LR one doesn't look like a default setting on import- is it? Or conversely, the first one looks under saturated, the second one possibly over-sat.



I'll take another look when I am on my laptop. What monitor are you using? I'm looking via a LaCie ebIV and a Samsung LCD SyncMaster 191t.
  • bridal make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment