Sunday, March 28, 2010

Stacks and flag filters...

It appears that a stack takes on the flag of its top item for purposes of filtering. This makes it easy to accidentally bury picks.



I think it would be better if filters also operated on items in stacks individually... so stacks would shrink by filtering just as the overall group of photos shrinks.



e.g. if I have a stack with some picks and some rejects, filtering on picks would show that as a smaller stack containing only the picks...



Pat Niemeyer
Stacks and flag filters...
...And this is a serious problem, a BUG if you like.



Consider flagging (e.g. flag as Rejected) a few pictures INSIDE some stacks, then show them filtered by this flag. Hit Select All, then Delete: it will delete ALL the pictures from the stacks the flagged pictures belonged to, NOT ONLY the flagged items!!

Is this really intended?!



I think this behaviour should definitely change. I almoust lost some of my high rated pictures due to this surprising behaviour.
Stacks and flag filters...
Basically, a stack acts like one image - the one on top - unless you open the stack. I don't see why this is counter-intuitive to so many people, but I haven't used stacks in any other program and I don't use them much in LR.



Seems like people are using them like collections instead of stacks.

But it is confusing Lee Jay



Stacks acts like one image if closed, yea from a logical standpoint maybe



- Close the stack and apply metadata. The metadata is applied to the topmost one. If you then rotate the topmost one...



- Apply a color label to all your pictures in a shoot. Go through them, apply some rating, flag, add key words and create stacks. Remove the color label to signal ready with this batch. If you have closed the stacks, good luck...



I do understand the reason stacks works as designed. I have no better idea either but I can also understand why this could confuse people.



Stacks are treated as one picture, ''they are all equal but some are more equal than the others''



The second point above throw me of for one hour yesterday. I saw one picture with a purple label that shouldn't be there. I went to ''All picture'' and filtered on purple label... No pictures! Went back to the folder I came from, and there it was...



As I said, I see why stacks work the way it does but I can also see that it can be confusing. I guess we just have to get used to it but it would be nice to have some warning dialog before you made anything really bad to your pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment