Sunday, April 4, 2010

Want to RE-install LR trial on Vista...

Just wondering if this is possible. I had LR on my laptop, and plan to buy V1 this weekend, but want to use it with Vista personally before I buy. I got the Vista upgrade this week and installed it. I did not do a clean disk install, so I imagine it's still in the registry somewhere. Can I do this? Can someone help out with a possible workaround if there is a ''trick'' to it?

Thanks,

Vince
Want to RE-install LR trial on Vista...
Vince, if such a trick existed (and I have no personal knowledge), posting it would be to give you instructions to continue using LR for free in perpetuity. In other words, you are de-facto asking for instructions on how to pirate Lightroom.



That may not be your intent, but it's the effect and so I doubt you will get an answer here from anyone.



Note that LR is not officially supported on Vista yet, so you may want to hold off for a new release that includes Vista support. You would likely be able to install a new 30 day trial for that new version as well, so you could then evaluate before buying.
Want to RE-install LR trial on Vista...
I knew that would be one thought, that's why I wanted to ask in the ''official'' forum. Since I will be using LR on that particular computer, and obviously want the pre-May discount, I wanted to try it out before plunking down $200 on software to use on a fairly new OS - not gain the ability to use it free indefinitely. I can see that as a valid concern, however.



Any ideas? Anyone want to comment on Vista (32 bit) compatibility?

One thing I didn't realize earlier is that you didn't mention how long ago your original evaluation was. If it was less than 30 days ago, the 30 day clock may still be ticking, and you would just be able to reinstall the trial version to get the remainder of your trial window.



As for Vista, there are multiple threads in this forum covering it, so if you search for Vista you should find some useful information. IIRC, it ''mostly works'' but there are some issues in importing from memory cards, and I believe that the integrated CD/DVD burning on export does not work.

No, unfortunately, the clock ran out for me on Monday. I didn't get the Vista upgrade until Wednesday - though I should have been able to get it sooner :-(

But that's a whole other story of frustration...



I'm going to get LR anyway, but I would feel much better about it if I could actually use it on MY computer with Vista first.



The issues you mention regarding card import and CD burn are of particular concern. Is this a likely area of attention in a (hopefully soon) version update?

''I'm going to get LR anyway, but I would feel much better about it if I could actually use it on MY computer with Vista first. ''



Adobe has a 30 day return policy...also note that Lightroom 1.0 is not certified for Vista...it works as reported by people with a few issue...which will be addressed by an update for compatibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment