Thursday, April 1, 2010

Cataloging Photos

Does anybody know if Lightroom can catalogue photos (make thumbnails) which I have offline on a CD Rom or DVD? Many thanks.
Cataloging Photos
Yup. More than Thumbs, too. You import them as referenced and the folder turns red and a ? shows on the thumbnails which will identify the CD/DVD to pull it up same as an off line HD.



Even so you can do slideshows, webstuff and Draft print from the larger previews built.



Don
Cataloging Photos
Oh man, I now no longer need PSP or, in fact, ACDSee, which I bought JUST for the offline cataloging feature!!!

As I know, LR has limited support for offline media now.

For ex, it can't help you with _finding_ DVD with offline shot, it doesn't have database of burned/cataloged disks.



For my amateur workflow it's ok, but good DAM application should have such things...

Don is referring to V1 Grafin.

This is a V1.0 Forum. Most of the time unless we say otherwise we are refering to V1.0 as it will ship.



Don

Don, Sean,

thanks for clarificatrion.

So, has something changed in v1.0? Great news!

My understanding is that with the new release version 1.0 LR will allow you to find photos that you have saved off line (to a DVD). My question is how does LR known where to find the images and on what DVD. Does it allow you to burn a DVD or does it make a catalogue off of images you have already burned to DVD.



Thanks,



Dennis

And to add a bit to Dennis's question, does it tell you what DVD needs to be inserted to find the files?

v1.0 has the information in its database/library and when the folder/images are unavailable the folder shows in red. When you click on a''red'' folder it shows you the path to access it i.e.DVD/Cd number or title.

If you have files already on DVD you would need to bring them into LR first so they are in the library. I assume you are meaning old images here.

I prought in astack of old Photoworks 35mm to CD images this way and it works fine. Shows the Title of the CD and is Red when they are off-line.

Don

Maybe I missed something :)

But how does LR know if pictures on my hard drive already imported to the LR library whether I backed them up to DVD's since it doesnt seem LR has an archiving feature, I would most likely be using other software to archive my photos.



This is a much needed feature for me at least and I'm sure others.

Sometimes photos I archive to DVD I also keep pictures I print often for sales on my hard drive in one folder.

So if I needed to go back to the original file on DVD, how would LR be able to direct me to the proper DVD for that particular file.



Thanks,

Ruth :)
  • oil companies
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment