Sunday, April 4, 2010

Lightroom minutes of response time for...

We are running LR on XP (Pentium 4 2.8G / 2G RAM) with 7000 photos.

A search in the library takes minutes. Typing in a file name it may take 40 seconds till the first character is echoed and some less time till it disappears after a Backspace.



For 7000 photos there is a small amount of meta data that needs to be managed.

This is in comparison to our ERP System, which manages millions of data rows on MS-SQL with response times in less the 1 second.



What is wrong with the data base in terms of response time?
Lightroom minutes of response time for...
The response time on my comparable LR configuration is very fast, so maybe there is something else causing your major slowness. For example, if I search for a filename in my 8000+ images using the Find panel (you didn't specify, but I assume you are using Find) the found images are displayed virtually immediately (%26lt;1 sec), and updated virtually immediately as more of the filename is entered to narrow the search. Be aware that using the underscore character in Find will result in no images being found (this problem has been reported by many users). Some people have reported issues with anti-virus software. Maybe that is slowing you down. I've also seen general reports of memory issues with the Windows version.
Lightroom minutes of response time for...
There are hundreds of posts about poor LR performance on Windows machines. Apparently there are some memory glitches. I believe Adobe is avare of this problem

I have found that LR performance can vary tremendously; for me the difference seems to be whether the LR database file(s) are fragmented or not on the disk. Defraging the disk has a major performance improvement in LR.



You can use a program like CONTIG.EXE (Windows) or the system defragmenter.



I have ~26K photos so far, and find is near instantaneous.

Defrag did help moderately, but not enough to say the speed was adequate.

Yes, I'm using the Find Panel in my German Version.

I did defrag and I have also switched off Virus Scan. Now Im getting response times in the range of 1 to 15 sec, depending on the name.



Really a good improvement for the moment but I still hope V1.1 will speed up.



Thanks for your input!

I just compacted the LR database following the approach described in
another post. Startup time improved tremendously and the library feels faster, too.



Use it with caution - read Tom Hogarty's caveat first and then backup your database - but this would probably boost your response time quite a bit.



Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment