Sunday, April 4, 2010

Lightroom and ACR - Keeping all files...

Not sure I'm asking the right questions but I'll give it my best shot.



According to what I've read, it appers that the only way to get a job into Lightroom is to choose Import. What if I have a job folder with RAW files that have already been manipulated in ACR? Is there a way to simply point Lightroom to that folder without having to import into LR and have all the files be copied again?



Also, if I open the RAW files in LIghtroom after working on them in ACR, will LR cause the RAW files to first go back to their defaults? If so, is there a way to get them back in ACR as originally worked on?
Lightroom and ACR - Keeping all files...
Added note:



I was hoping to do the bulk of my RAW file corrections in ACR, then use Lightroom to open up these files for the purpose of galleries and/or presentations, without copying them to another folder, and without changing the previous edits, etc.



Then I would like to have Lightroom honor the edits and changes that were made previously using ACR, and proceed to use it as an extension of ACR.



Is this going to work?
Lightroom and ACR - Keeping all files...
It is possible to import into the library without moving the files. You just point to where the files are located. I don't know how compatible the changes will be with ACR. It will depend on the version you are using (it must be 3.7 with CS2 or 4.0 in CS3). Others will be better informed than me.

Thank you for your quick response Martin.



I tried this earlier and it copied the files as DNG within the same folder. I trust I can change those settings to where it will only point to the folder without doing anything.



Linda

As for ACR, I'm using CS3. As for LR I have a demo running of vs. 1. I have purchased LR though and should get it within the next week or two.

Linda,



DNG copies would suggest that you have chosen the wrong option in the Import dialog - see attached screenshot for the option you should have chosen. This will leave the files in their existing location/format. Any settings that you may have already applied within ACR will be honoured by LIghtroom

Ian,



It's so nice to see you. I was thinking about you recently and wondering how your were doing.



Thank you for your help on this. I must have overlooked the drop down menu.



I am relieved to discover that even though LR copied and converted the files to DNG, it didn't seem to affect my previous work. Also come to find out it created a new folder for the DNG within the other folder.



Thank you again!



Linda

Glad to be of help.

No comments:

Post a Comment