Thursday, April 1, 2010

Making New enclosing folders in LR on a...

I keep my photo database in folders by date on external FW drives by year - 05, 06, 07, etc. I have added several folders of pix from 06 and 07 to LR, and they are all listed individually in the Folder list. Now I want to go back and put the folders from 06 in a folder labeled ''06'' just like on my FW drive. It is not working. If I create a new folder named ''06'' same as on the FW drive, and put the photo folders from 2006 into the 06 folder, they seem to disappear from the hard drive! When I take the LR folders out of the new ''06'' folder I created in the LR folder list, they reappear on the FW drive. Like rabbits out of a hat. How do I recreate the folder superstructure (enclosing folders) from my FW database in LR without erasing the current database and importing the whole external FW drive?

Thanks
Making New enclosing folders in LR on a...
I haven't tried this so my suggestion may be dubious. However, try creating a new folder in LR called ''06'' and drag the '06 folders there with the drive attached. The files will move too, I think.
Making New enclosing folders in LR on a...
I'd suggest giving the 06 and 07 folders names different from those on your external drive. Perhaps 06_L for local, or 06a, etc. Create them in LR, then within LR drag them into the new parent folder.

That is exactly what I tried, and the folders became invisible on the FW drive. I took the folders (in LR) back out of the new 06 folder, and the folders on the FW drive magically reappeared. So....I have a new magic trick I can show at the next PSWorld Midnight Madness.......no Joe......its not a trick.....its a FEATURE.....

Tried that too.....it seems that when the folder in LR is moved into another folder.....it is moved on the external FW drive also....I just don't know where it goes, and so I can't control it....or see it.

Is the making of new enclosing folders in LR buggy? It seems to work in PS...new folders I make in PS show up on the FW drive - I know that the database structure is basically different, and it may take a little more work.......v1.1???

Have you tried making the folder on the FW drive (with a token image in it. Then doing + in LR and navigating to it to add it to L. and then drag what you want under it?



Don



Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.4.9 %26amp; Win XP, Pentax *ist D

http://donricklin.blogspot.com/


I think I have figured out a work-around. In Bridge or in the OS browser a new folder can be made at any level, and other folders can be moved into it. If you do this in Bridge, the folders also move in the OS browser, and vice versa. Not so in LR. To get a new higher level folder (enclosing folder) it has to be made in the OS browser or Bridge. I have a bunch of photo folders on an external drive from 06 and 07. They are in folders of those same names (i.e., ''06'' and ''07''). I had moved several folders of pix from 06 and 07 into LR, but did not have them segregated into separate folders. I wanted them to be sub-folders of ''06'' and ''07''. One solution I found was to create a new folder in the finder (OS browser) named ''2006''. LR would not import this empty folder so I put in a small folder of pix. LR then imported ''2006'' and its sub-folder. In LR I then moved the other folders of pix from last year into ''2006''. I could only move one folder at a time - a pain - and the folders in the OS browser moved simultaneously into the new ''2006'' folder on the FW drive as well.

I would like to have the ability to make new folders in LR like I can in Bridge and have the new folders also show up on the FW drive, Bridge, etc.

Joseph-

Just before I replied the first time, I made a new top level folder in LR just to be sure, as I had made only subdiary folders in LR before. I've not done it on a FW drive, but that shouldn't be a factor as long as it's hooked up so that LR can ulitlize the Finder to make a new folder.

No comments:

Post a Comment