Thursday, April 1, 2010

Vulerable Database

As my Dell XPS lies dead waiting for its replacement, I am writing to you on my backup computer. This is the second time the Dell crashed this month and lost my system and data. Beside this, my LR database was corrupted two times in the last 4 months.



I have not lost one pictures, keyword, image correction, or any metadata.



LR has the backup and scan for corruption for a reason. If you do not back up, you are going to lose your database. So go to Edit %26gt; Preferences %26gt; General and select a frequent backup routine.



I backup my backup databases along with everything else on my computer on my 80 gig iPod, two backup harddisks and online on my website. I also backup my original pictures on DVDs. This has saved all of my pictures, financial data, collections, etc. on several occasions. One horrifying event required going to a third backup to retrive some files that were corrupted on two backups!



If you do not backup just consider everything you put on your computer shredded.
Vulerable Database
This is not the only way to backup your database. I don't generally let LR do backups of the database, but I sync the database to my other machine frequently. I can also copy it to my two backup drives, one of which is external.



But I agree that having only a single copy of something means you don't really mind if you lose it.
Vulerable Database
It's also worth mentioning that a RAID 0 (mirroring) array does not protect you against database corruption that originates in the software, as opposed to drive failure. You'll simply get a mirrored copy of the damaged database.

%26gt;RAID 0 (mirroring) array



0 = Stripped and provides no redundancy. If the array goes down due to disk failure you're left standing with pants around your ankles ;-)



http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/singleLevel0-c.html

Okay, so I had a brain-lapse and goofed on the terminology. :-) But the key point is that RAID 1 mirrors as well as higher-order RAID levels do NOT protect against software errors, only hardware failures. So as long as we're talking about backups and things, I thought I would warn those with RAID implementation that they STILL need separate backups.
  • oil companies
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment