Thursday, April 1, 2010

Can't find Photoshop

After installing Photoshop CS3, LR no longer can find PS. The only way to edit a file in CS3 is to use the edit in another application.



Once finding CS3 from that function, it keeps CS3 in the dialog, but still doesn't show Photoshop in the default option.



Anyone else have this problem?



Wil
Can't find Photoshop
What is your OS, and do you still have CS 2 installed?
Can't find Photoshop
I am having the same problem under Vista X64. I upgraded Photoshop to CS3 and then removed Photoshop CS2. Now, Lightroom does not find Photoshop anymore. There should be a way, in preferences, to specify a path to Photoshop. I will try removing and re-installing Lightroom (unless someone has a better suggestion) but there should be an easier way.



I noticed that removing Photoshop CS2 left numerous references to Photoshop CS2 in the registry and in AppData\Roaming.

Win XP2, CS2 uninstalled. There is no way to point LR to CS3.



Wil

Has this been a problem on the Mac?



I've got CS3 due to arrive today and would like to do the install properly. Any clue for the Mac? (I currently have CS2 installed and LR jumps to it when ''edit in LR'' is chosen.)



- Pierre

Um !!!! me thinks. Received advice on the CS3 forum this morning that it is better NOT to uninstall CS2 before installing CS3. Reason being that CS3 installs into it's own folders (presumeably then not causing conflicts with CS2) and also allows you to get used to CS3 for a while. Now I wonder if after installing CS3 will I be able to link to it in LR, or will it be locked into CS2. At present I have Elements 5 set as a the second editing alternative.



Wish I'd never visited the CS3 forum in some respects, reading the number of installation problems that people are having and the rumpus over something called 'Bonjour' tends to put the frighteners on a bit.

See if this thread helps:




Paul Keates, ''Cannot open CS3 from Lightroom'' #, 22 Apr 2007 4:00 am

The suggestion above (i.e. adding a registry entry pointing to Photoshop) does NOT work in Windows Vista; it was for Windows XP. Even more amazing: I uninstalled Lightroom and reinstalled it. Lightroom still cannot find Photoshop!

I had a similar issue, testing CS3 in Vista. After the uninstall Lightroom couldn't find Photoshop anymore.



I modified the default key, and restarted LR and it worked:



(Default): ''C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Photoshop.exe''

Path: ''C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\''



Watch the spelling in the key too. I think it doesn't work with photoshop''



Juergen

I am having the same issue, can you tell me more specifically where it is in the registry?

Regards,

Tom

Pierre

I think you are in luck. I have a Mac and I was running CS2 with no issues accessing it from withing Lightroom. I just installed CS3 and was a little worried because of some of the threads here addressing all manner of unusual happenings.



Good news. Not only did it access CS3 with no problems but CS3 opens at least 2x as fast as CS2 did. I didn't uninstall CS2 and I didn't have to repoint LR to get it to see CS3 either.



Anybody with a Mac having any problems in this regard. I am very pleased right now.



Rusty

Rusty, Yes I got CS3 running and connected with LR. I did deactivate CS2 and remove it first, since I didn't want to keep it. But after installing CS3, everything worked well.



- Pierre

I have a Mac G5 Quad Core, just installed LR 1.0 and CS3 Upgrade. The edit in Photoshop shows CS3 as an option, but invoking it does nothing. The file never opens in CS3, even though the app is open. What's going on here? Have CS2 specified as secondary, and the prefs in Lightroom shows CS3 as the primary application. It's just that nothing happens.



How to fix?

When CS2 uninstalls it removes important registry keys that are used by CS3 applications (as well as Lightroom). For example, if you have CS2 and CS3 installed and then uninstall CS2, you will find that magically you are unable to open InDesign files using InDesign templates because the file associations have disappeared.



Although it's impossible to know the future, I'd say that's a bit naughty of CS2. Fingers crossed the CS3 uninstaller doesn't make the same mistake.



In the meantime, I'd recommend a complete reinstall of CS3 if you get around to uninstalling CS2, for the above reasons.

Hmmm... that sounds like a Windoze problem -- I'm on a Mac. Still have CS2 installed, but ran the uninstaller to remove the beta of CS3.



Restarting the machine a couple of times seemed to fix the problem. All better now.

James, it's the CS2 uninstaller which is the problem application (on Windows at least). Since you still have CS2 installed you presumably have not run the CS2 uninstaller. Try removing CS2 from your Mac and see if everything still works.

No comments:

Post a Comment