Thursday, April 1, 2010

Exporting to Excel/Spreadsheet Apps....

I haven't seen a clear answer on this in searching but is it possible to take the metadata and file info, say from a folder of pics, and export that info into readable form for spreadsheet use. I realize you can take individual picture info and do this from photoshop but these are large batches of pics and that wouldn't be feasible.



Thanks in advance!
Exporting to Excel/Spreadsheet Apps....
Try EXIFer.
Exporting to Excel/Spreadsheet Apps....
You could always access the database directly. SQLite Database Browser is Open Source and has an export to CSV option, or you can use an ODBC driver.



John

Thank you both for replying.



I should have noted I'm working on a Mac (Exifer being Windows Only). In attempting to access the CSV file from the database I'm getting a lot of gibberish that doesn't translate to information for a spreadsheet. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong?



I'm a bit surprised there isn't a more direct route. The software is pretty robust and usable something that could take just a few categories of information and transfer it to spreadsheet style for corporate clients would be perfect.

It's a version 1.0 and the DAM aspects were later in the day. As an alternative, you could always try iView - export is cut and paste, or text file, or xml/xslt, so much more direct.



Are you using that SQLite Database Browser? Which tables are you looking at?



John

Yes I have it up now as a matter of fact, I've cycled through a few different tables. Is there a particular one I should have up?

Start with the ones called images, image_files and work your way out from there, using the id field to match them up There's also a load of stuff in additional metadata, but it's unparsed - that may include some of the makernote exif.



It'll be easiest if you have a relational database, and can then join tables and make queries. Maybe Filemaker Pro will do the job? By far the easiest way is what I mentioned about iView.



John

No comments:

Post a Comment