Thursday, April 1, 2010

More questions ...resolution..

Hi folks,



I am now shooting raw (bought a few more memory cards) and am nowing formatting the pics w/lightroom...



Big question...after I prep \a pic to my satisfaction, I have to conver to jpeg so I can post it to our board....the conversion leaves a bigger footprint that when the camera does the converion...this is no problem..but I am losing resolution and the pics get darker...



Anyone have any ideas ?



Thanks

Ian.
More questions ...resolution..
Are you switching to sRGB when you export? That should take care of the darker part.
More questions ...resolution..
Hi Ian



i ...the conversion leaves a bigger footprint that when the camera does the converion



I assume you mean that the JPEGs produced by LR are bigger than the JPEGs produced by the camera for an equivalent shot. If this is the case then you can control the size by adjusting the ''Quality'' slider in the File Settings area of the Export dialog.



Regards, Nigel

And limit the pixels per side to, say 800 or so.

Thanks...not particularly concerned about sizejust noted.. I archive/delete on a regular basiswhich removes a big useful chunk of light room.. I wouldnt want to go down anymore on res or I would have to toss the picture



What I am concerned withand I think I have noticed it here somewhere is the drop in quality and resolution when I export to jpeg. .I need the jpeg to post on smugmug but the RAW photo is SO much better



I spend a bunch of time formatting a photo and when I convert to jpeg..I really need to do it again



Is there a way around thisAny I use a commercial printerwhich doesnt take RAW ..



Help ..or I have to go pact to cs/2or is cs/3 more like lightroom



Thanks

Ian.



Ps .. a bit frustrated,...starting to like lightroom..

Ian-



LR makes it easy to produce say 900 x 600 pixel sRGB JPEGs and put them on a web site, and then simply choose another Export preset to make a much larger JPEG at higher Q (I use 90 for printing) for printing, either in aRGB or sRGB depending on what the printer needs or can take. You might even ask them about Prophoto color space.



You can also take snapshots or create virtual copies to make, say different crops or different adjustments. All this gets saved in LR.

John,



I am exporting the RAW pics at max resolution (sRGB)...is this the best it gets ? Or am I doing something wrong..



I really like the white correction on LR.



Ian.

Ian-



Think of the RAW file as the negative. (or convert it to a DNG to help you consider that's what it is). So it's your best source for files, now and in the future.



However, for printing at many labs, a high quality JPEG is your best choice. As to darker, that has to do with color management, a big subject. Where are you viewing the darker renditions?

John,



I can deal with the dark...I just have to keep that in the back of my mind...what I cannot deal with is the lack of resolution...I go from a clear chrisp pic to a ho hum pic...enougt for me to do a double take...



Is there any way to say the great resolution of RAW when you move it to a usable format ?



Thanks

ian.

It sounds like some of your pix are wanting sharpening. Bump up the print sharpening a bunch and see if that does it. If not, a trip to PS for general and or local sharpening may be in order.

John,



Am I the only one suffering with these problems ?



I looked for ''print sharpening'' in LR and couldn't find it ... please direct me..



It sounds odd that I have to push my pic through LR..export to jpeg, that re do it under cs/2 to get a pic that is not as clear as the LR pic...it soulds like double work and quite frankly, being teased at what the pic could really look like :)



In rteality, wouldn't taking the pic in jpeg and modding it under cs/2 or 3 equate to the same thing ? What are others doing ?



thanks for your patience...I suspect I am stepping on som e nerves :)



Ian

It's in the panel used for printing.

Ian, print sharpening is not what you want.

Try sharpening a bit more in the develop module and see if that helps. My jpegs look great, if you care to you can email me a raw and jpeg deravative to have a fiddle with to compare results:

service@villageimage.co.nz

Geoff,



Thanks. I was ready to go back...



It will take me a day so so...I will send in two chunks so you inbox can take it...



Thanks

Ian.

No comments:

Post a Comment