Thursday, April 1, 2010

How to change develop setting from 240...

Hi



When I click on an image in LR and then select ''Edit in Photoshop CS2'', the image always lands up PS with a resolution of 240 pixels per inch.



I would like to change this default to 300 pixels per inch but cannot find where to change this in the LR preferences.



Any suggestions will be most welcome!



Regards, Nigel
How to change develop setting from 240...
I don't think you can -- you'd have to change it in PS. Does it really matter?
How to change develop setting from 240...
Hi Tom



Sure you can change it in PS, but that is an extra step which you can easily forget. In Bridge you can set the resolution and then it stays at that setting until you change it.



There should be a corresponding way to do this in LR - I just cannot find it...



Regards, Nigel

That is because it is not there.



Don



Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.4.9 %26amp; Win XP, Pentax *ist D

http://donricklin.blogspot.com/


Hi Don



Thanks - saves me from more futile hunting :-). Hopefully this will be a customisable setting in future...



Regards, Nigel

Hi Nigel, why do you want that? When you ''edit in PS'' the file will remain in LR unless you ''save as'' somehwere else, at that point you can change the PPI to your own choice with a scaling method of your choice depending on up or down. That is what I do......



Enjoy LR!!

That was my question -- does it really matter?

I'll tell you why it matters. It's way easier to change the dpi tag than it is to explain to art directors why the dpi tag is irrelevant.

Make an action in Photoshop and assign a Function Key to it, (like F1).



(Actions Palette. New action. Name it 300 dpi, click Record. Choose Image Menu - Image Size: deselect Resample Image, set Resolution to 300 pixels/inch. Stop recording. Double click to the right of the action name - choose Function Key: F1.)



The next time you choose to Edit an image in Photoshop you just press F1 when the image has opened and the image will get ''converted'' to 300 dpi.

Actually I agree with NigelL, having the possibility to set a default resolution in LR like for Bridge RAW conversion would be convenient, it would be a handy shortcut. Sure you can live without it.

Open File%26gt;export



You can then change the ppi and open in Photoshop.



Alex

Justing bumping this back up. This was my question exactly! Thanks for asking.

Hi dprimm



Sure you can export your image using a specified resolution, but this value is ignored if you select ''Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS3''. There are lots of other ways you can change the 240ppi setting to what you want (using actions etc.) - but this should not be necessary if one could configure LR to use your preferred resolution.



I know that this is a relatively minor issue. All I am saying is that there is a valid argument to allow the user to select a default resolution that suits their workflow. For me that is 300 pixels per inch.



Hopefully the engineers at Adobe will include this in a future update to LR.



Regards, Nigel

NigelL,



FWIW, I agree with you. I'd like to be able to set the default PPI, even though I'm aware that it ''doesn't matter''. It's just one less thing to have to remember.

Unfortunately this issue misses another fact...at least in my system. If I open a raw file in Adobe Camera Raw (via CS3), I can set the resolution max size and 360 for the conversion and I end up with a file thats around 50 Megs. If I take the same raw file and open it by selecting edit in CS3 for LR, the resulting file is at 240 dpi...but it is only 35 Megs. While I can switch the res to 300 with an action, unless I reinterpolate, the file size remains smaller and hence pixels are lost.



How can we gain maximum image quality and retain pixels when editing via LR vs through Camera Raw and CS3?



Andrew

%26gt; How can we gain maximum image quality and retain pixels when editing via LR vs through Camera Raw and CS3?



Regardless of how and when you interpolate an image (upward or down in size) quality WILL suffer.



Camera Raw uses the PS interpolation algorithms as set in the PS Preferences, so it doesn't matter whether you iterpolate whilst converting or later in PS - the

b damage

is the same. The only difference is that in the PS Image Size dialogue you get a drop down box from which you can choose Bicubic Smoother for UPsizing or Bicubic Sharper for DOWNsizing. In ACR you just have to hope Photoshop's Preferences are set correctly for your particular needs.



There is only one answer to the first part of your question

i ''How can we gain maximum image quality and retain pixels''

and that is

b do not resize your image at all!



If you are making a print from a seven megapixel file at anything up to 20x16''

b you do not need to resize the file at all!

Feed your printer unadlterated pixels and it will make the most of them - producing excellent quality at anything between 150 and 480 ppi.



If you want the very best quality -

b don't mess with the pixels!

I'm afraid you are missing the point entirely. I don't need a lecture on interpolation...this issue is not about ''intentional'' size changing.



Let's try again. I shoot a raw file on my camera. I load it to my computer. I check computer properties...it is 16 megabytes.



I open the file in CS3. Adobe Camera Raw opens. At the bottom of the view window, I am given choices as to how to convert to Tiff ion the workflow options box. I choose 360 (I print on a fine art digital printer and selecting resolutions that are multiples of 72 improves quality...in case anyone is wondering) and the max size of 6144x4096. I save the file as a TIFF/LZW...CS3 shows it to be a 72 meg file with the size specs and resolution I selected.



I upload the same RAW file into Lightroom. I Ctrl-E and itopens in Photoshop CS3. The file is set to 240 (which we have established is no problem)...but the total dimensions are only 4992x3328 and the total file size is 47.5 megs. Maybe LR didn't interpolate it up to the specs that CS3 did when converting the RAW....or more likely, LR lost data....



If this is an interpolation issue, then I suppose one could run the same upsize routine that Camera RAW ran automatically. Regardless, one would like to have the same control over this interpolation i.e. the same control over Camera Raw as we get when working directly in CS3.



Andrew

When you choose the maximum size in ACR's output options, you are upsizing -- interpolating and creating new pixels to make the image larger, at a detriment to quality. Only the middle size in ACR is the unaltered, uninterpolated original image size. The ppi resolution is irrelevant to the number of pixels of image data and can be reset at will.



Lightroom doesn't give you interpolation options when you open the photo in Photoshop. When you do so and its size is 4992x3328px, then that is the pixel size of the converted RAW image. That should also be the middle size option in ACR. Any larger size occurs only by interpolating, either in ACR or in Photoshop.

%26gt; I upload the same RAW file into Lightroom. I Ctrl-E and itopens in Photoshop CS3. The file is set to 240 (which we have established is no problem)...but the total dimensions are only 4992x3328 and the total file size is 47.5 megs. Maybe LR didn't interpolate it up to the specs that CS3 did when converting the RAW....or more likely, LR lost data....



No, that image was probably taken with a Canon 1DsII which has pixel dimensions of 4992 x 3328. LR did the conversion pixel-for-pixel. ACR did the conversion pixel-for-pixel and then upresed the image as you asked it to. Upresing does not add information, it just maked the image bigger. You can do it in PS if you like (image-resize) or you can use an external application like Genuine Fractals, but you can also just print it and let the printer driver handle it.

OK, I understand...thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment