Sunday, April 4, 2010

Photoshop Image Processor?

I have become accustomed to running some Sharpening Actions from Bridge using the Photoshop Image Processor feature. Is anything like this possible through Lightroom?

Thanks,

Nick
Photoshop Image Processor?
You can create an Action in PS, convert to a droplet, and put that in Export Actions in LR.
Photoshop Image Processor?
John,

Thanks for the pointer. Some quick followup questions if I may:



My workflow is to shoot RAW, color correct in ACR, and then from Bridge, use Image Processor. I have always assumed that when Image Processor runs my sharpening actions, Photoshop processes a temporary PSD format file (in its original size) before it converts it to a JPG.



The way the Lightroom/Droplet approach sounds is that the actions/droplets are run after the JPEG conversion process (and resizing) is complete.



My questions: Is my understanding of the different sequences correct? And, does it impact the final quality in any way?



Thanks.

Nick

Nick,



When you launch your actions from Bridge, there is no temporary file: the image is loaded in memory , processed, and saved only at the end.



In my understanding of Lightroom (I am learning ;-)), you will need a temporary file to run the droplet on. But to ensure there is no loss of quality, you should export in TIFF or PSD in original size. Your action should take care of resizing and saving as JPEG. Then as far as I know you will be left with those temporary files to delete.



David.

Nick_Pudar@adobeforums.com wrote:

%26gt; John,

%26gt; Thanks for the pointer. Some quick followup questions if I may:

%26gt;

%26gt; My workflow is to shoot RAW, color correct in ACR, and then from Bridge, use Image Processor. I have always assumed that when Image Processor runs my sharpening actions, Photoshop processes a temporary PSD format file (in its original size) before it converts it to a JPG.

%26gt;

%26gt; The way the Lightroom/Droplet approach sounds is that the actions/droplets are run after the JPEG conversion process (and resizing) is complete.

%26gt;

%26gt; My questions: Is my understanding of the different sequences correct? And, does it impact the final quality in any way?

%26gt;

%26gt; Thanks.

%26gt; Nick



2 alternatives for you...



1. Allow Lightroom to export, and then run the sharpening on the

resulting files. There's a quick tutorial here

http://www.photoshopservices.co.uk/lightroom/droplets.htm. Whilst you

could export to psd and then let your droplet convert to jpeg after

sharpening, that will take a lot more processing power than going

straight to jpeg, and it's probably not worth it in a real world

environment. Saving as top quality jpeg twice is not going to kill your

file. (Test it!)



2. Alternatively, do all your colour correction in LR, save the changes

to XMP sidecar files, and then find them in Bridge with either CS2/ACR

3.7 or CS3/ACR4 and run Image Processor as you usually would. This

would just open and save each file once, as it does in your current

workflow.



Victoria

www.photoshopservices.co.uk

Victroia and David,

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will be using Victoria's alternative 2. It seems the safe path for now.

Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment