Sunday, April 4, 2010

JPGs created, what's going on?

I usually shoot JPG although I have a few RAW photos. My camera when it saves RAW saves only RAW, not RAW and JPG. I was looking at a directory today and noticed that the RAW files all have associated JPG files with a recent creation date (not the same as the raw).



Looking more closely I see that these apparently rather low quality JPG files (from their file size) were created on the day we were having the discussion of the missing metadata in JPGs. I had turned on ''Automatically write changes to XMP'' in Preferences, which precipitated Lightroom writing out every single file in my catalog.



Apparently it also, in its wisdom, created JPG files of each of the RAW files. Does anyone know what this is? I won't set that option again but I am curious about this ''feature.''



Of course, they don't show up in Lightroom itself because they have the same name as the RAW file.
JPGs created, what's going on?
Judith-



Could these have passed through another application? Could you have inadvertantly turned on RAW+small JPEG for a shoot or two?
JPGs created, what's going on?
I forgot to mention the date/time is exactly the same as the rewrites of all the files when I set the option ''Automatically write changes to XMP''. Hum. Does that prove it? Maybe Lightroom could rewrite a file that it didn't have in its database?



I thought my camera couldn't write both a RAW and a jpg but this seems to be a low quality JPG. I'll check that tomorrow.

Judith-



I thought of another thing about an hour after I went to bed, and that's that possibly you ran Export jpegs and had the results put in the original folder?



In any event, if this is a one off phenom, you'd like to know; I'd like to know, but we may never know. Now, if it happens again unexpectedly, and esp. if you can reproduce it, then the stakes climb.



It might help to state your camera, settings, and platform.



Best wishes,

I'm sorry for the confusion. My camera is making these files. However, there is a Lightroom issue related to it.



I thought I read that the camera didn't create both a JPG and a RAW but it does. It creates a low (''standard'') quality JPG. Here's the problem with Lightroom. It imports both files but registers only one (as we know, since they have the same name).



Even worse, if you delete the cataloged one (RAW), it does NOT delete the low quality JPG. This is not good because I don't know how to keep my directories clean if Lightroom imports but will not delete files.



It is also curious that the date on the file was the date and time of when I set Preferences to Automatically Write Changes to XMP. That means it doesn't only write to cataloged files? I checked the metadata in one of these files and it does contain information that I entered for the corresponding RAW file in Lightroom.



Lesson to be learned here. Some of us are getting our directories cluttered with stuff that is not cataloged in Lightroom. How do we keep them clean?

For many threads over covering this topic do a Forum Search of 'RAW + JPEG'.



Don



Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.4.9 %26amp; Win XP, Pentax *ist D

http://donricklin.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment