Thursday, April 1, 2010

Just A Thought About Database I/O

I was just thinking about the database in Lightroom and came upon a question that I hope I can ask clearly. Let's say I have an image open in the Develop module, and let's say that I click and drag on the Blacks slider. When I move that slider to make changes to the Blacks value, is Lightroom recording to the database
every change to the Blacks value, or just the final value after I have finished moving the slider?



Or, let's say that I am typing in a value for Blacks. If I want to type ''10'' for the Blacks value, is Lightroom recording to the database ''1'' and then ''10'' as I type it in, or is it just recording ''10''?



I guess what I'm getting at is Lightroom making these intermediate writes to the database, and if so, why? Is Lightroom writing to the database with that fine a resolution? If so, that may account for some of the slow performance experienced by so many reporting on this Forum.



If not, then never mind my bizarre thinking... maybe I'm just tired.
Just A Thought About Database I/O
Probably just when a new history state is created (when you let go).
Just A Thought About Database I/O
Yeah, probably right. Just a random thought.

'' guess what I'm getting at is Lightroom making these intermediate writes to the database, and if so, why? Is Lightroom writing to the database with that fine a resolution?''



It writes what shows up in history...yes.



''If so, that may account for some of the slow performance experienced by so many reporting on this Forum. ''



No...different issue. Most all the ''slow posts'' have been from Win users (more than Mac) and there is a known memory issue with the Win version.

I did a little experiment and the history state only shows final settings (as you suggested), not the intermediate adjustments. Ah well... like I said, just a thought. Thanks for the info.

%26gt; Most all the ''slow posts'' have been from Win users (more than Mac) and there is a known memory issue with the Win version.



Jeff I'm using a 2GB G4 with v10.4 OSx and LR has started pumping the brakes after only 10K in imports. I'm now wondering how it'll respond when I hit the 100K marker??



Maybe v1.0 isn't quite ready for prime time -- although I suspect it's designed to do much better using a dual or quad core ... ???

%26gt;... LR has started pumping the brakes after only 10K in imports. I'm now wondering how it'll respond when I hit the 100K marker??



I stand to correct this observation. Although hard wired to a gigabit network drive, my MAC seemed to slow down when it hit 10K in imports. Actually, what happened is that my MAC switched access over to my Airport card. I've disabled wireless and now ingestion and processing is as fast as when my DB was under 10K in imports. I regret not having caught this earlier.



I'm now up to 20K and LR is still ingesting at sufficient speeds. Not too shabby for a v1.0 product. Hats off to the MAC team. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment