Thursday, April 1, 2010

File & folder management question

I apologise if this has been answered before, but through my search of this forum and on Internet in general I can't find any answer to this very simple question:



How do I move a folder structure to a new location, i.e. a new drive, existing/new folder, a new partition in LR?



If I move it off-line I need to remap the missing folders, which is OK if I just move one folder, but when I've re-organised dussins of folders it becomes a drag. I know that LR isn't a browser like Bridge, but this is still a rather basic feature that I can't find out how to do in LR.



Just imagine the day when you need to switch to a larger drive or split your collection on several drives and you may have to remap hundreds if not thousands of folders. Therefore, there must be a simple way to do this in LR, which I can't find.



Can someone please help?
File %26 folder management question
Move them all in Finder / Explorer, then reopen LR and right click the root folder.



John
File %26 folder management question
Sorry, I don't get it. Starting LR shows the folder in red. Right clicking on the folder then brings up 5 options: create folder, delete, move selected photos to this folder, locate missing folder, check for missing photos and folders.



The last option seems to be the one that is most applicable, but when I do that LR doesn't do anything. ''Locate missing folder'' brings up a box where I have to manually find the location of the folder. That's OK for one folder, but when we're talking about a lot of folders it becomes very cumbersome.



What am I missing?



I liked the way ACDSee handled it, but that's one of the very few things that ACDSee does better than LR.

You want 'Locate Missing Folder' which will bring up a Finder/Explorer window where you can navigate to th images and point LR to them, unless they are off-line on an unmounted disk (CD, DVD or HD) in whuch case you have to mount the missing and then runn th elast choice.



Don



Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.4.9 %26amp; Win XP, Pentax *ist D

http://donricklin.blogspot.com/


But that's exactly what becomes so very time consuming. Is there no other way?



It's a key issue for me. 22 days left on my trial and I have to decide before then if I can live with this shortcomming. Basically I have to change the way I work, which is exactly what you shouldn't do. Software should be an aid to make work easier. You shouldn't really have to change the way you work because of software, especially not for something so fundamental as file and folder management in a photo library. Enough ranting.



I really love the development module, which is why I'm considering moving to LR. Now if you could only spend as much time on the Library as you've done on Develop...

Donald-



This takes all of a minute, max. You connect the top level folder that contains the missing folders and Bob's your uncle. Other choices include not moving your files off the HDs on the machine, or placing them all on an external drive that you keep connected.

That's why I said ''the root folder''. That, and Locate Missing Folder, should be all you need for a bulk move. I don't know ACDSee, but this is like iView's Reset Paths command.



John

In ACDSee you don't ever have to think about this issue or do anything about it, as long as you use ACDSee to reorganise your files and folders. Which is just as easy as using Explorer/Finder. ACDSee includes a Explorer/Finder type of panel which you just use as you do in Explorer and ACDSee keep track of all your movements automatically. No remapping of files and folders needed ever. Very simple. However, if you have moved files and folders off-line there is an option to remap just like in LR.



If you have a very neat folder structure there isn't a big problem. The big prolem comes when it's a bit messy and you may want to do some larger reorg to get the structure nice and neat. Then it certainly doesn't take a minute to remap.



What if you've done some reorg and then get interupted in your work (urgent job that needs to be done or something) and can't come back to it until next day and therefore have forgot where you put the folders/files that you moved? You could spend a long time looking for those files.



I just don't understand why something so basic this is excluded from LR. Why make things difficult. The interface is allready there. Just use the Explorer/Finder interface from within LR and teach LR to keep an eye on what you're doing in that part of the app and it's done. No remapping and looking for missing files ever again. If LR at least had a facility to scan selected drives/folders for missing items.

Why not just import the destination folder, and drag-and-drop to that within LR?

Will that preserve ratings, keywords, etc?

Drag and drop within LR preserves everything, including LR's knowledge of where it is.



You still have your trial, right? Try it out on some test folders and see how it works.

Thanks, I'll try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment