Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Using Lightroom on an old laptop

I would like to use Lr on my laptop as well as on my desktop. Unfortunately my laptop is without a doubt inadequate for the purpose - I think it's 2GHz, ~256MB RAM (Win XP). Is there any chance that I'll manage to get some use out of it provided I only use a small database etc.?
Given that I mainly need it for cataloging and so on, I can probably avoid using anything other than the Library module, as well.

Alternatively, does anyone know if I'd be able to do something similar with Bridge?Using Lightroom on an old laptop
You'd need to add memory - 256 isn't going to cut it. You'll need at least 1GB.Using Lightroom on an old laptop
Not necessarily true. I am running reasonably well with only 512 MB, but I wouldn't recommend 256
System requirements
Windows

Microsoft庐 Windows庐 XP with Service Pack 2
Intel庐 Pentium庐 4 processor
768MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
1GB of available hard-disk space
1,024x768 screen resolution
CD-ROM drive

If you are running LR with less than 768MB of ram, you are under spec.
Would it run under WinXP Pro SP2 on a 1.40GHz Intel Celeron, with 768MB of RAM?
Maris, you could always download the trial and see, does your system equate to the spec in Jeff's post??
%26gt;Would it run under WinXP Pro SP2 on a 1.40GHz Intel Celeron, with 768MB of RAM?%26lt;%26lt;br /%26gt;
Yes. I'm running Lr on my xp home sp 2 1.66 Celeron with 512 ram. On a trip I download my photos, Do all the library stuff and some developing.

But as ''the Kiwi'' says you can allways download a trial try and see
Yes, my system includes everything including 768MB RAM except a Pentium 4 processor. I did download the trial late last night (since the price is apparently increasing by $100 at midnight tonight) and it ran well for the 15 minutes or so I could devote to it.

I'll work with it some more this afternoon, and probably buy it this evening.
All,

I'm running on an ''old'' Toshiba Equium, 1.5MHz, 768ram. photos 19,000+ on a main dual core connecting the two by wireless. I have a slight delay in loading the images when developing, but else its very usable. Have keyworded most of images in comfort in the garden with said set up. Used SyncBack to copy databases back to main comp when finished.

Faster and slicker on the dual core, but then that's what I expected

I'm happy with LR (ex Raw Shooter)....
%26gt; Would it run under WinXP Pro SP2 on a 1.40GHz Intel Celeron, with 768MB of RAM?

It's running here on that CPU with only 512MB of RAM. I wouldn't recommend it for regular use but for processing small shoots (50-100 images) daily while away from home it works well enough.
I purchased Lightroom and was not informed that I needed service pack2 before install. I'm running XP Pro on a 40gig HD w/1 gig of ram. Will L/R run w/o ser pk 2? MS says some scary things about backing up my entire system before installing ser pk 2 and I hate to pay someone to intall it. I'ma little aprehensive about doing it myself as this is my main imaging computer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Glen
For me, installing SP2 was long (45 minutes or so), but painless (absolutely zero hitches).
Agree with Lee Jay... I've installed SP2 numerous times, never had a problem (never heard of any of my friends having problem, or IT department at work having problems either.)

MS I think needs to put those worst case scenario warnings in there to cover themselves legally, as there is always a small % that COULD have problems.

I've never been too worried... I've always backed up essential documents and images to CD, DVD, or external HD anyway, and I suggest that should be standard practice anyhow.

Back on subject of laptop: I'm running AMD athlon XP-M 2800+ 2.12ghz processor with 1GB RAM (less 64mb for video). As mentioned, other than a little slow when loading previews or zooming in for first time, it runs pretty well for my purposes. (Hobbyist... not professional.)
  • remove sunless tanning spray
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment