Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Lightroom Crash on Import with CS3...

The last two days, I have been importing fairly large shoots from CF cards with Lightroom (Yesterday 147, today 79). In both cases I have received the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has encountered a problem and needs to close..'' message; twice today. I installed Photoshop CS3 Release yesterday and now I have Bridge trying to import the same set of photos. I noticed the Bridge import dialog today after LR crashed. By sending off the debug message and restarting LR I can finish the import eventualy. It shouldn't be this way and wasn't before I installed release CS3 (I had had LR and Beta CS3 on my machine with none of these problems.
Lightroom Crash on Import with CS3...
What OS, What computer? What camera? What kind of connection from the card?
Lightroom Crash on Import with CS3...
Check out the prefernces in Bridge and if there is an auto import, disable it.

Jeff

WinXPPro SP2, Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB. USB2 card reader.



Geoff

There doesn't seem to be a choice; I wish there were.

Is it in preferences%26gt;general%26gt;behaviour%26gt;''when a camera is connected...'' ???

Make sure you disable Adobe Downloader for Bridge CS3...also, try to limit the amount of busy work you try to do inside of Lightroom while importing from a card...there have been some threads on how to disable Bridge from auto-launching to download cards...(sorry, I don't do Windows too much)



:~)

Geoff

Is it in preferences%26gt;general%26gt;behaviour%26gt;''when a camera is connected...'' ???

No such entry under General



Jeff

Make sure you disable Adobe Downloader for Bridge CS3...also, try to limit the amount of busy work you try to do inside of Lightroom while importing from a card...there have been some threads on how to disable Bridge from auto-launching to download cards...(sorry, I don't do Windows too much)



I wasn't doing anything but downloading and as far as I can tell from the Bridge forum, there is no way to disable the Adobe Downloader for Bridge.

There are numerous ways. Do a search for ''msconfig''.

See seventh listing of Lightroom FAQ in this forum.



Don



Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.4.9 %26amp; Win XP, Pentax *ist D

http://donricklin.blogspot.com/


Lee Jay and Don

The msconfig route as referred to in the Lightroom FAQ turns off the Lightroom response to CF insertion. That is not the result I want. Launching LR is the desired response. I don't want to launch the Bridge downloader at the same time (or really unless I ask for it).

Oh...I didn't get it I guess because I don't use Bridge. And anyway I would have thought it uses the Adobe downloader too. Anyway, that sounds like a Bridge question.

@Erwin



Open ''My Computer''.

Find the Device letter that is your CF Drive.

Right Click on the drive.

Select the Autoplay tab.

In the ''Drop Down'' box select the content type that you want to change. (Bridge CS3 is in Pictures, Video Files, and Mixed Content)

For each type of media, choose either ''Select an Action to Perform'' and pick which other program you want to start instead of Bridge (or Take no Action) when the card is inserted or ''Prompt each time''

Hit OK for each change.

So if you want to use LR, leave the Adobe downloader running in the system tray but set the autorun options to ''no action'' instead of Bridge.

SCraig

When I right-click on the drive, I get a context menu. Autoplay is one of the options. However, clicking on that only gives me the same dialog I get when I insert a CF card, The dialog is titled Pictures and gives me a choice of ''Download Images using Bridge'' or ''Take no action.'' There are not choices of media or things to do with the media.



Michael

I'm not sure what you mean, unless you are referring to the options I discussed above. The Adobe Downloader gives one the options of Disable, Launch, or Exit. If you choose Launch, it launches Lightroom. There is no reference to Bridge.

Again, if you want to use LR, do nothing with the Adobe downloader. It will automatically open LR to get the images off your card.



If you want the OS to stop giving you the other options simultaneously, right-click on the drive in explorer, click on Properties, click the AutoPlay tab, and then in the drop-down box pick, one at a time, each type of file other than Music files (Pictures, Video files, and Mixed content) and for that type of file check ''Select an action to perform'' and select ''No action''. After doing this for each of the three types, click Apply and then OK. This will prevent the OS from asking you if you want to use Bridge or No action -- and end the interference with using LR for this.

Michzel

Thank you for the complete instructions. I can now stop Bridge from launching at the same time as LR and perhaps prevent the crashes.

However, the installation of CS3 removed some choices I would like to have from the Pictures menu. I will poke around the registry some more to see if those choices can be edited. If you know for sure, I would appreciate any information.

Glad you are sorted Erwin, I use Mac and had not seen you OS before posting.



Enjoy LR !!

Erwin, on the Photoshop Windows forum, someone recently said that you can reenable the old choices using Microsoft's TweakUI powertoy. I haven't tried it, though.

Michael

Thank you. I happened to see the references to TweakUI and followed up. I now have my choices back. Bridge doesn't popup automatically, and perhaps LR won't crash any more.

Erwin,



Can you please explain how you restored the perferences in the 'What do you want Windows to do?' dialog after you downloaded and installed TweakUI?



Edited............



Sorted!



Thanks.



D.

Erwin or Dinarius,



Could you please explain how you got your autorun preferences back using TweakUI? I just installed Lightroom and have this problem.



The missing autorun options is driving me crazier!



Thanks,



Holley

Hi Holley,



Just back from a long weekend, hence the delay in replying..apologies.



Since I have now fixed the problem, I cant remember exactly how I sorted it, because I just stumbled through the various menus until I found the right solution! But, heres what I think I did:



Open TweakUI.

Open the drop down menu next to My Computer.

Click on Handlers.

In the window next to the menu, highlight Open folder to view files using Windows Explorer.

Click Edit.

Tick whichever boxes/tasks you would like to add to this folder. Obviously, the last one, Digital Images, will be one of them!

Click OK.

Thats it!



Note: There is no option to Take no Action. Once you have added any of the menu items, this option is added automatically by TweakUI.



Now, when you put a card in your card reader, the window should open with the option, Open folder to view files.



If this isnt working, reply and Ill try again.



HTH.



D.

Thanks D, I have been wound pretty tight myself.



I was able to ''borrow'' another computer that does not have Lightroom or CS3 installed. After opening TweakUI, going to the handlers section, and looking at the boxes checked for each program I was able to get my system working correctly. On the system I looked at several programs had multiple media type boxes checked for a single program.



It might be a good idea to use the TweakUI program before either Lightroom or CS3 is installed. At least until a fix is added to the installation routines.



Holley



If anyone is interested, I can post a spreadsheet of the associations I found on the ''borrowed'' computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment