Tuesday, December 6, 2011

nikon camera settings for an adobe only...

If I use a Nikon D70, shoot raw, don't use Nikon nx, and want to import into Lightroom as dng--are there certain in-camera setting to use or avoid? Use to think only decision was whether to import as dng or nef. But if Nikon's in camera settings aren't accessible without nx, do you have to rethink all your camera settings just because you want to import into Lightroom as dng?

Thank you,

Tim
nikon camera settings for an adobe only...
Lightroom (and Adobe Camera Raw) ignore in-camera settings other that white balance.



I have used ACR and Lightroom with D70 and D200 NEF files and am quite pleased with the results.
nikon camera settings for an adobe only...
I agree with Bobs comments above, using a D200 now with some old D70 files I generally convert to DNG upon import to LR and save the NEFs off line.

I like the results after developing and have no issues, especially after having processed and printed miliions of negatives from film !!

I don't care too much about the camera settings apart from correct exposure, lowest possible ISO and reasonable white balance, but usually have that set on auto.

''But if Nikon's in camera settings aren't accessible without nx, do you have to rethink all your camera settings just because you want to import into Lightroom as dng? ''



The only settings on the camera you really have to ''worry about'' are F stop, shutter spped and ISO...those are the only settings that will effect a raw file from the standpoint of Camera Raw/Lightroom.

Bob, Geoff, and Jeff,

Only reason I selected custom ''image enhancements'' was to choose color mode II-Adobe RGB instead of the default sRGB. Those images do come into Lightroom as RGB, but so far I've copied images off the memory card without converting to dng. I'm now thinking of copying all images from the card in their native nef format just for an extra copy, and then importing into Lightroom as dng and backing them up again during this import. I'll test to see if images imported as dng come in as sRGB or RGB. But maybe that's more of an export issue rather than a capture issue when shooting raw.

Thanks for your advise,

Tim

'' I'll test to see if images imported as dng come in as sRGB or RGB.''



Raw files come in as raw with _ON_ color space attached...since it's raw. That's why I said the only things that effect raw files is F stop, shutter speed and ISO. Nothing else you set on cameras as any direct impact on a file. It's only a metadata tag and since Nikon (and Canon) refuse to document their raw file formats or use a standardized raw file format, that ain't gonna change any time soon.



Raw is raw..ya know?

%26gt;The only settings on the camera you really have to ''worry about'' are F stop, shutter spped and ISO...those are the only settings that will effect a raw file from the standpoint of Camera Raw/Lightroom.



Well, they will affect the exposure, but Camera Raw/Lightroom does not care about the actual settings, unless it uses the ISO for sharpening/NR stuff - does it?



OTOH, WB and NEF compression will be used. Settings such as sharpening and contrast will not matter, unless you are shooting raw+jpg - then you will see the effect on the jpg.



One thing to consider, is that the WB and contrast settings have a small influence on the in-camera exposure calculation unless you are shooting in manual mode.

Setting WB in-camera will have an effect on a RAW imported into LR because LR will use that WB setting as the default for that image. This doesn't affect the image itself, of course, but it will affect what you see in LR before you start making changes.

''but Camera Raw/Lightroom does not care about the actual settings, unless it uses the ISO for sharpening/NR stuff - does it? ''



Yes...

%26gt;''but Camera Raw/Lightroom does not care about the actual settings, unless it uses the ISO for sharpening/NR stuff - does it? ''



%26gt;Yes...



Thanks for the info Jeff. Good to know, especially in the next release???

I also just convert my NEF's to DNG on import. I tried some of the presets for import, but quickly realized that all of the photos on a memory card rarely need the same things. I would also argue that most people don't choose all the optimal settings in camera (hence the advantages of RAW).



For this reason, I find my best workflow is to simply edit groups of pictures that are similar. So if I take a few pictures inside at a birthday party, I will spend a few minutes in the develop module changing my settings, and then I will simply sync, auto sync, or copy and paste all of my develop settings to the 10 other photos that have the same issues.



One note on sharpening. It supposedly is set to a decent setting by default. Check out this article:

http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2007/04/whats_with_the_number_25.htm l



--

Doug

''I tried some of the presets for import, but quickly realized that all of the photos on a memory card rarely need the same things.''



True for most scene or image specific settings, not true at all for calibrate settings. I routinely import images from cards and apply my own set of default settings which include my camera's calibration settings as well as lowered sharpening settings.



Depending on the shooting situation, I'll also often import with Auto-Tone correction on. Course, I don't do that for shots that are bracketed...

Jeff, do you use Nikon??

If so would you be prepared to share a preset as a starting point?

''Jeff, do you use Nikon?? ''



LOL. . .no, Canon pays me to use Canon :~)



(I'm a Canon Explorer of Light)



Sorry, and even if I did, the whole point of the Camera Raw/Lightroom calibrate function is to allow for camera by camera calibration...there's enough variation camera by camera that would make my camera different than yours...

Thanks anyway.......

There are a couple of Nikon colour presets on Inside Lightroom if you are interested in colour looks.



Richard Earney



--

http://inside-lightroom.com

I would assume these are coming down the pike, but I've gotten two of the recently released Lightroom books, and they are, naturally, very basic and all encompassing. There are several smaller areas that I would love to find material on, like this camera calibration option. I imagine writers are hard at work, but books on specific and detailed aspects of Lightroom would sure be welcome.

Howard

Rick Walker of Nikonians posted some camera calibration presets for the D80 that are something like this:



Red Hue: -25

Red Saturation: +45

Green Hue: 0

Green Saturation: +10

Blue Hue: +10

Blue Saturation: -25



They work well for me when applied to a NEF or a jpg shot in Adobe RGB mode.



jeff

Thanks Doug, Richard, and Jeff for the sharpening article, color preset tutorial, and camera calibration example. Before I committed to a raw workflow, I spent time testing Nikon's different settings for jpegs. And now it's time to learn Lightroom's settings for a raw workflow. And since it's an Adobe product, I won't have wasted all the time learning Photoshop since 1994.

Tim

Jeff,



Any idea what default setting in LR will match Nikon Capture for D200 files? Also, do you start from ''import'' or ''zeroed''?



Thanks,

Foster

Foster,



Sorry, I haven't researched settings for the D200, although I sure wouldn't mind having a D200. ;)



If you haven't done so already, search this forum.



http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list%26amp;forum=DCForumID202%26amp; conf=DCConfID3



jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment