Tuesday, December 6, 2011

RGB Absolute Values

I did a search for ''RGB values'' and didn't find anything, so I am sorry if this has been addressed before...

I use a GretagMacbeth ColorChecker in my shoots and the RGB percentages that are displayed in Lightroom are not as helpful as the RGB absolute values. Is there a way to change the display to the actual numbers? It's a little unfriendly to have to calculate the percentages by hand.

I just purchased Lightroom and have a big learning curve.RGB Absolute Values
%26gt; Is there a way to change the display to the actual numbers?

No. LR is using 16 bit ProPhoto chromaticities in linear gamma internally. Thus, any ''actual numbers'' would be meaningless relative to what something like PS puts out.RGB Absolute Values
Does this make the GretagMacbeth ColorChecker meaningless in Lightroom? How about CIELAB?
You can still use the color checker in a couple of ways. Since there are scripts available, you can use them to determine calibration settings in ACR, then copy those to LR. Or you can export from LR and use an editor to examine your images.
I'm not familiar with the scripts you mentioned. Where are these available? I'll need to look into these suggestions, but it sounds like a considerable interruption to the workflow. I was hoping to make most of the color corrections and applying them before editing in Photoshop. I am now worrying a little that Lightroom may not have been the wisest purchase.
What are you seeking to achieve Mark?
Tom Fors will be releasing his brand new calibration script for Camera Raw 4 any day now (maybe even today). Check PhotoshopNews.com for the announcement.

Once you have nailed your per camera calibration, you can import the resulting raw file into Lightroom and ''capture'' the calibration settings to create a camera specific calibration setting you can apply to all other images at import.

And yes, from the standpoint of RGB numbers, the %'s in Lightroom are different than any other app because, well, Lightroom is different than any other app.

:~)
Jeff is it possible that something like this be developed to create the camera calibration directly in LR. That would be great.
What I am seeking to achieve is setting the white balance and exposure in the first picture (taken with a WhiBal and a ColorChecker) and applying them to the rest of the series in Lightroom. White balance is easy, and I know what the grey scale in the ColorChecker is supposed to be with the 8 bit RGB or CIELAB numbers that GretagMacbeth supplies with it. I was hoping to do all this before going into Photoshop, but I guess this isn't one of Lightroom's strengths.
%26gt; What I am seeking to achieve is setting the white balance and exposure in the first picture (taken with a WhiBal and a ColorChecker) and applying them to the rest of the series in Lightroom.

Why not just use the WB eyedropper on the first image, and then sync (or copy and paste) the white balance information from that image to the rest?
Lee,
That is step one of my process. I was hoping to adjust the shadows and highlights to get the grey scale on the ColorChecker in line before I synced them up.
Hi Mark,

Bruce Lindbloom has created a TIF file in LAB space using calculated values for the Gretag Macbeth ColorChecker. You can download it from this page:

http://www.brucelindbloom.com/ColorCheckerRGB.html

You can import it directly into Lightroom. You still wont see the RGB values, but you will have an exact reference for what the percentages should be. No more calculating needed :)

I put it in a collection called ''Reference Targets'' so I can always find it quickly.

-Chris
Thanks Chris!

That will definately help. I wouldn't mind a future release of Lightroom having the option of RGB percentage or LAB space. I have a feeling I'm not going to be placing a lot of emphasis on the ColorChecker values though... at least for the moment, until I learn the software. I just purchased Photoshop CS3 on Friday, and Lightroom on Saturday. It looks like I got Lightroom just before the price increase!

I am pretty much a newby when it comes to digital photography, and still trying to find the best software for me. This purchase will replace: Elements 4, Bibble Pro, Capture One LX, and possibly Nikon Capture NX. I'm suprised that this early in the game I feel I hit the limitations of that software. Photoshop makes my head spin though! It's a whole different world!
Mark-

Many of us die-hard Camera Raw users who have been working with Lightroom since the early beta's initially revolted against the percentage concept. But to be honest, I can't say as that I've really missed the RGB readouts. Other than for calibration (for which I use Tom Fors script) purposes, I rarely, if ever have to rely on actual numerical RGB values.

So yeah, it takes a little getting use to but unless you're going for a very specific targeted output value (in which case I'd say stick with Camera Raw %26amp; Photoshop), they just aren't (IMHO) that big of a deal for everyday work.

And like Jeff said, it's a whole different kind of workflow.
Jeff,

Will Tom Fors calibration script be announcd on the home page? Looking at all the links on the right hand side I doubt I will ever find it otherwise!
You can find it here-

http://fors.net/chromoholics/
  • olay regenerist
  • programming
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment