Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Exporting photos from Lightroom in...

Hi all,



My Lightroom library contains photos from multiple photographers. What I'd like to do is select all of a particular photographer's photos by choosing 'Creator' from the metadata browser and export the selection to a single folder. However, Lightroom's export options force me to chose from JPEG, DNG, TIFF or PSD formats. Most of them are JPEGs already; I don't want to recompress them again (or save them in an uncompressed format, which would be pointless). I just want to make a copy of the files as they exist in the library, without modifying them. Does anyone know if this can be done, and if so, how?



Cheers,

Nick
Exporting photos from Lightroom in...
On Export you have the preset option to ''Burn full sized JPG's''. I'm assuming what you imported essentially gets exported. I'd suggest you experiment. Pick a few JPEG's and export them. See if the file size and image quality are significantly different from the original.
Exporting photos from Lightroom in...
You could export the xmp in the metadata menu and then just duplicate the files with your OS probably.

Mac or Win?



Don't know if this works on Win...but on Mac, assuming you have a volume that is a separate physical drive from where your Lightroom images are, select the image based in Creator and drag/drop them into a new folder on a different drive...if on Win, drag %26amp; drop doesn't yet work (hoping it will eventually).

Hey everyone,



Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm using OS X, so Jeff's suggestion worked a treat - just select the photos you're after in the Lightroom library, and drag/drop them to any folder in the Finder to copy them there. FYI, you can copy to a folder on the same physical drive as the Lightroom library.



I knew it would be simple. I'm kicking myself for not trying that earlier.



Thanks everyone!

Nick

Take note that RAW image copies drag and drop from LR will not have any of the LR xmp data, DNG, TIFF and JPEG, will if the XMP info has been first exported to them.



Don



Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.4.9 %26amp; Win XP, Pentax *ist D

http://donricklin.blogspot.com/


Don:



Has the fact that XMP sidecar files don't get copied with the raw file been reported as a bug?

I don't believe so. Not sure they consider this a normal way to do things. But it would make sense if there is an XMP that it would get dumped with the drag copy.



Don



Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.4.9 %26amp; Win XP, Pentax *ist D

http://donricklin.blogspot.com/


So far as dragging the file ''out of'' the Lightroom content area I think you'll find that it works the same way as Bridge (i.e. the sidecar does not travel with the original file). In the Bridge you need to use the Move To or Copy feature if you want the XMP sidecar to travel.

I have the same problem Nick has.

I need the original files to be copied to another place after a search or from a collection. I do not need the xmp. This is a very simple task but it seems it cannot be done with lightroom.

I have searched all over the place now.

You can physically move files within lightroom, why can one not copy?



Alexander

Sorry

Forgot to say I use Windows / Lightroom 1.0

Drag and drop does not work.



Alexander

So far as dragging the file ''out of'' the Lightroom content area I think you'll find that it works the same way as Bridge (i.e. the sidecar does not travel with the original file). In the Bridge you need to use the Move To or Copy feature if you want the XMP sidecar to travel.





So... In Lightroom, how is it properly done then?



I shoot RAW only, and I have found occasion where I would like to collect a copy of the RAW files to give to someone else for editing. While I might be able to use the Windows Explorer, what am I supposed to do if the images reside in different directories? I can't export them because Lightroom doesn't let me export a RAW copy (in other words, I can't export a CR2 file and end up with a CR2 file outside of Lightroom), and I can't drag and drop them because 1: this doesn't work on Windows, and 2: the sidecars don't copy with the RAW files.



Thanks for the tips and info.

You do it in Explorer/Finder, not LR. The feature is just not there.



Then import if needed.



Don



Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.4.9 %26amp; Win XP, Pentax *ist D

http://donricklin.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment