Tuesday, December 6, 2011

LR won't import PSD files without...

I have imported most of my library into LR successfully. However, I realised that all of my files already processed in PS will not import. I am using a mac, and hence none of my file names have extensions. I have always made sure that the 'maximise compatibilty' option was either switched on or selected at save time.



When I manually added the .psd extension to some of my file names, they imported successfuly.



Why won't LR import PS files without an extension? Photoshop imports files without extensions.



Confused.



Hope this is not a really dumb question.



Thanks, anyone.



Steve.
LR won't import PSD files without...
I can relate! I imported about 5,000 camera files (raws, jpegs, tiffs) with no problems. Then I created a separate library for my edited files, which are mostly saved as Photoshop files with layers intact and backwards compatibility. Since I've always been on Macs, these files have normal titles, for example ''Blue Wall.'' When I try to import these files into LR, it says ''No photos were found to import.'' If I take one of those files and add ''.psd'' to the end of the existing title, then, as you discovered, I can import it.



But it gets even better: if I add the extension and then rename the file yet again to eliminate the extension, I can still import it into LR! So ''Blue Wall'' will work fine if it has been named ''Blue Wall.psd'' in the finder and then renamed ''Blue Wall'' still in the finder. I suppose that I can do this to all my edited files, but man, that's gonna be a lot of work.



Any ideas?



-- greg
LR won't import PSD files without...
Greg, I haven't done very much with it but my understanding is that the Automator is designed to do just this sort of thing. Seems like if you moved all of your .psd files (w/o extension) to one folder you could create something that would add the extension you need.



Just a suggestion, like I said I haven't done much with Automator.



Rusty

I am half way through manually adding the 'psd' extension to my files. Luckily I only have a few hundred or so to go. I am sure you can do it (adding the file extension) with Apple script, but I don't know how to do it, never having used it before. Looked at Automator, but couldn't see a way to do it.



I think this is a big oversight by Adobe with this app. An Adobe photographic application that cannot open it's own (adobe) file format unless it has the extension added to it.



Steve

I've noticed something similar on Windows. I have a lot of RAW files and many .PSD files with the same name that required addition edits beyond what I could do in RAW. What I've found out is that Lightroom won't import two files that have the same name but a different extension.



This is a big problem for me and I really hope Adobe changes it eventually.



At the moment, I just use Lightroom to process new work, but I'm not using it at a ''master library'' for this reason.

%26gt;What I've found out is that Lightroom won't import two files that have the same name but a different extension.



LR will import them if they are in different folders. Segregate by extension, import and then move to folders as you want.



Don



Don Ricklin, MacBook 1.83Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.4.9 %26amp; Win XP, Pentax *ist D

http://donricklin.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment