Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Printing: Lightroom and Photoshop

Ok...so today I tried to run my first print since getting lightroom. Quick run down on my color management (although I am still learning on this subject as well). My monitor is calibrated with an eye one display. My camera (Canon 300D) is set to AdobeRGB profile. I am running an Epson 2400, Ilford Smooth Pearl paper, with the profile provided from Ilford, and have it set to have the printer determine colors. And I am running Lightroom and Photoshop CS2.

I have been printing with this combonation beautifully for about a year now. I do have one small thing about my setup, even calibrated, my monitor is a little dark, so I must do a small curves adjustment on my final version to get the print to be perfect. I have accepted this (not the newest or best monitor) and just set an action to run before printing.

So, today, I tried to print from Lightroom. The print came out WAY too dark...I mean, my blue sky is a dark purple...odd. So I said, well I need this print, let me move it to photoshop, drop the curve and print from there. Well...the blue came out blue, but the image is still a little dark...I will play with the curve again to see if I can get it right. I don't have a problem with doing this for now, but I am wondering why the images are darker then they used to be, even in photoshop.

Also, can I create actions in Lightroom, something like develop presets that I can run AFTER I am done working on an image that we prep the document for print?

Sorry for the long post...thanks for any help...Printing: Lightroom and Photoshop
What system? Mac or Win?
Raw or jpg?Printing: Lightroom and Photoshop
Oh jeez...I give all kinds of info, and failed to give the basics...

I shoot RAW, and using Windows XP.
So...you're using the canned profile from Ilford...and in Lightroom you've added that via ''Other'' correct? When you select that profile you are then using Lightroom color management and then you go into the Epson driver under Properties, Mode Custom and then select Off under Color Management, right? You've also selected the correct media that Ilford reccomends with the Pearl paper?

If you hit print from there than that should take care of it. Note however that if you change the page template, it _WILL_ change the print output settings making you update to the profile again.

So far, I get equal output results from Lightroom and Photoshop CS2/3 when using the same profile and printing under Mac or Win. So, if you are _NOT_ getting the same results, your settings are not equal-something somewhere is set incorrectly.
I should have known it was something simple...I was not choosing the profile in the ''Other'' area...I left it as Let Printer Determine colors. The monitor is still a little dark, so I will have to make the adjustment still, but it works...Thanks for the quick help Jeff!
  • Bounce back error message received from
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment