Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Problem with large, scanned image files

I have been scanning in Medium Format negatives with a Nikon 9000 ED scanner. The files are huge 320 megs each. I import them into Lightroom and ''edit'' them. After a few, Lightroom will always crash.



I am using a monster of a laptop. Alienware duo-core cpu, 2 gigs memory (that's as high as I can to), 320 gig raid array 0 storage. Fastest Video available. This can't be a performance problem but maybe a memory issue? I'm getting pretty frustrated.



Any idea?



Thanks!
Problem with large, scanned image files
While LR shouldn't crash for any reason, it doesn't support images that are larger than 10,000 pixels on either side.
Problem with large, scanned image files
The images are actually not over 4000 on any side.

I'm told that they are 320 megs. because when you scan negatives you get a lot of information that you don't need. Nothing I can't do anything about that except scan at 8 bits depth instead of 16. A tool should not force me to make decisions.



I'm pretty sure Lightroom is running out of memory and not handling it well. I increased the virtual memory size (the swap disk) and it happens less frequently. Maybe after working with 16 images. Still very annoying.

%26gt;The images are actually not over 4000 on any side.



just doing the math here, but a 6cm x 6cm transparency scan at 4000 ppi (Coolscan 9000) should yield an image that's approx 9000 x 9000 pixels.



in 24bit color they would yield a size of 230MB (max) and in 48-bit color 460MB (max). if you open your scans in photoshop you can verify whether the pixel information you have is correct.



btw, XP or VISTA?

No comments:

Post a Comment